Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Etherchannel accross 2 Cisco 4507's

Etherchannel accross 2 Cisco 4507's

Darren White

Hi,

Came up with the idea of using Load balancing from our HP Servers to 2
seperate Cisco 4507's using Etherchannel. The first question is "Will
it Work?" I have read some artcles that don't really answer this!!

The thought I had is that the 2 4507's are connected to a 6509 if I
group the channels from both 4507's into an Etherchannel will this
make it work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

stephen

"Darren White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi,
>
> Came up with the idea of using Load balancing from our HP Servers to 2
> seperate Cisco 4507's using Etherchannel. The first question is "Will
> it Work?" I have read some artcles that don't really answer this!!

it might but it shouldnt - Etherchannel needs the 2 or more ports at each
end of the combined link to be on the same device.

you have to ask if you need this anyway - many different servers are happy
to load balance across 2 NICs without needing to use the same MAC address on
both cards - that type of load balance just needs 2 different ports within
the same VLAN.

> The thought I had is that the 2 4507's are connected to a 6509 if I
> group the channels from both 4507's into an Etherchannel will this
> make it work?

nope - same issue.

--
Regards

Darren White

"stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<sN10d.107$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Darren White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Came up with the idea of using Load balancing from our HP Servers to 2
> > seperate Cisco 4507's using Etherchannel. The first question is "Will
> > it Work?" I have read some artcles that don't really answer this!!

> it might but it shouldnt - Etherchannel needs the 2 or more ports at each
> end of the combined link to be on the same device.
>
> you have to ask if you need this anyway - many different servers are happy
> to load balance across 2 NICs without needing to use the same MAC address on
> both cards - that type of load balance just needs 2 different ports within
> the same VLAN.
> >
> > The thought I had is that the 2 4507's are connected to a 6509 if I
> > group the channels from both 4507's into an Etherchannel will this
> > make it work?

> nope - same issue.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks I will speak to the Server team and see if they could get
the Servers to present 2 mac addresses to the 4507 but use the sam IP.