Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > GBIC mdoule Fiber -1000BASE-X

GBIC mdoule Fiber -1000BASE-X

Kott

Hello -
I am using 1000B-X GBIC Fiber module from two different vendor
equipments. When I connect the Fiber links I see that the link does
not come up. Whereas if I use 1000BASE-X GBIC Fiber modules from same
equipment vendors, the link comes up.

Could someone explain this behaviour ? Is it to do with some
specific vendor implementation that only links up with its own
implementation?

Kott

chris@nospam.com

On 6 Sep 2004 20:37:38 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Kott) wrote:

>Hello -
>I am using 1000B-X GBIC Fiber module from two different vendor
>equipments. When I connect the Fiber links I see that the link does
>not come up. Whereas if I use 1000BASE-X GBIC Fiber modules from same
>equipment vendors, the link comes up.
>
>Could someone explain this behaviour ? Is it to do with some
>specific vendor implementation that only links up with its own
>implementation?
>
>Kott

Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.

-Chris

Arnold Nipper

On 07.09.2004 06:07 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
> the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
> brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
> switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.

even worse. Some vendors only allow there own GBIC/SFP.

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper, AN45

Ben

could be an attenuation problem?

"Arnold Nipper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chjql4$2va$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 07.09.2004 06:07 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
> > the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
> > brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
> > switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.
> >

> even worse. Some vendors only allow there own GBIC/SFP.
>

> Arnold
> --
> Arnold Nipper, AN45

chris@nospam.com

In theory not unless he's using ZX modules. I'd think he would know
that given the huge price tag on those. For the Cisco gbics, the SX
and LX modules transmit power is not above the max receive level.

-Chris