Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Access Lists And Inter vlan routing

Access Lists And Inter vlan routing

Amy L.

It seems that when you apply an access list to a switch to control
inter-vlan routing on a L3 switch that its backwards to how you apply
access lists to a router.

For example, if you have two vlans (VLAN 2 & VLAN 3) and you want to
control traffic out of VLAN 2 into VLAN 3 you would apply that access
list as "in" on VLAN 2. This seems backwards to me, but I am sure
this is due to a matter or perspective. I figured since the traffic
is leaving vlan 2 and entering vlan 3 that it would be an outbound
access list on vlan 2, but my testing in the lab tells me otherwise.

Can someone set me straight?
Thanks
Amy.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Amy L.) wrote:

> It seems that when you apply an access list to a switch to control
> inter-vlan routing on a L3 switch that its backwards to how you apply
> access lists to a router.
>
> For example, if you have two vlans (VLAN 2 & VLAN 3) and you want to
> control traffic out of VLAN 2 into VLAN 3 you would apply that access
> list as "in" on VLAN 2. This seems backwards to me, but I am sure
> this is due to a matter or perspective. I figured since the traffic
> is leaving vlan 2 and entering vlan 3 that it would be an outbound
> access list on vlan 2, but my testing in the lab tells me otherwise.

"in" and "out" are relative to the router, not the networks. So an "in"
ACL processes packets that come into the router through that switch
port. This is exactly the same as how it works with regular interfaces
on routers.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA