Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Symantec Ghost and Multicasting

Symantec Ghost and Multicasting

J R

Hi,

A section of my organization uses Symantec Ghost (Enterprise, not sure what
version) to push OS upgrades to workstations. I constantly receive
complaints that "multicasting is not enabled on the network" and that this
is preventing the dissemination of the OS. I usually telnet into the
applicable switches/routers and verify that IGMP or CGMP is enabled (99% of
the time it is), but I'd like to give a more definative answer, possibly
even give the users something that they can perform to verify the existence
of multicasting throughout the network themselves.

Is there any quick tests that can be used to verify whether or not
multicasting, igmp, cgmp, etc. has been enabled throughout a network?
Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?

TIA,
J R

Pete Mainwaring

"J R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> A section of my organization uses Symantec Ghost (Enterprise, not sure what
> version) to push OS upgrades to workstations. I constantly receive
> complaints that "multicasting is not enabled on the network" and that this
> is preventing the dissemination of the OS. I usually telnet into the
> applicable switches/routers and verify that IGMP or CGMP is enabled (99% of
> the time it is), but I'd like to give a more definative answer, possibly
> even give the users something that they can perform to verify the existence
> of multicasting throughout the network themselves.
>
> Is there any quick tests that can be used to verify whether or not
> multicasting, igmp, cgmp, etc. has been enabled throughout a network?
> Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?
>
> TIA,
> J R

In the past, I used a couple of utilities called UDPSEND and UDPRECV
to test multicasting. I don't seem to have copies any more and I can't
remember where I got them from (I think a guy from Cisco had copies on
a disc). I did a very quick search, but couldn't find any downloadable
copies (I seem to remember that they were *nix utilities, but it was
over 3 years ago, so my memory is struggling a bit!!).

Good luck

Pete

Robert B. Phillips II

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Pete Mainwaring) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "J R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > A section of my organization uses Symantec Ghost (Enterprise, not sure what
> > version) to push OS upgrades to workstations. I constantly receive
> > complaints that "multicasting is not enabled on the network" and that this
> > is preventing the dissemination of the OS. I usually telnet into the
> > applicable switches/routers and verify that IGMP or CGMP is enabled (99% of
> > the time it is), but I'd like to give a more definative answer, possibly
> > even give the users something that they can perform to verify the existence
> > of multicasting throughout the network themselves.
> >
> > Is there any quick tests that can be used to verify whether or not
> > multicasting, igmp, cgmp, etc. has been enabled throughout a network?
> > Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?
> >
> > TIA,
> > J R

> In the past, I used a couple of utilities called UDPSEND and UDPRECV
> to test multicasting. I don't seem to have copies any more and I can't
> remember where I got them from (I think a guy from Cisco had copies on
> a disc). I did a very quick search, but couldn't find any downloadable
> copies (I seem to remember that they were *nix utilities, but it was
> over 3 years ago, so my memory is struggling a bit!!).
>
> Good luck
>
> Pete

Are you looking for the multicast simulator for Windows or Linux, I
have the multcast generator and receiver somewhere that I got a while
back. They are small executables that run, one on the source of the
multicast and a different one that runs on clients to subscribe to the
multicast. Let me know if you need the windows one - I will try to dig
it up.

-Robert