Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python and curses

Python and curses

linuxfreak

Was wanting to write a text based application in python.... seems
curses module is the way to go... anyone knows of any good tutorials
apart from the one written by esr

Eddie Corns

"linuxfreak" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Was wanting to write a text based application in python.... seems
>curses module is the way to go... anyone knows of any good tutorials
>apart from the one written by esr

There is at least 1 higher level library atop curses.
http://excess.org/urwid/ I've only played with it a little bit but it looks
useful.

Eddie

Isaac T Alston

linuxfreak wrote:

> Was wanting to write a text based application in python.... seems
> curses module is the way to go... anyone knows of any good tutorials
> apart from the one written by esr

Not off the top of my head, no. However, you will find that the functions
needed will be very similar to the C functions used. I did this with PHP a
while back and (because there are a lack of tutorials for PHP too) I had to
resort to the man pages for it. So I'd suggest reading that tutorial (by
esr or whoever) and then just reading the man pages for C for more
documentation.

Regards,

--
Isaac

Thomas Dickey

linuxfreak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Was wanting to write a text based application in python.... seems
> curses module is the way to go... anyone knows of any good tutorials
> apart from the one written by esr

It wasn't written by esr. He only has his name on it, did none of the work.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net