Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Why is Broadband an Analog Signal?

Why is Broadband an Analog Signal?

David Halpern

This is just something that intrigues me?

Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be digital?

Thanks in advance.

D.H.

none

In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra bandwidth on
the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple DSL
modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.

"David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is just something that intrigues me?
>
> Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
> and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be digital?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> D.H.
> (E-Mail Removed)

David Halpern

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zTN_c.679$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra bandwidth
> on
> the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
> existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple
> DSL
> modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.
>

> "David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is just something that intrigues me?
>>
>> Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
>> and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be
>> digital?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> D.H.
>> (E-Mail Removed)

All Broadband is not Analog though I would have to say?

D.H.

S. Gione

I was hesitant to post a reply, but you seem determined to get an answer.

The reason I was hesitant is because the definition of "broadband" has
become corrupted in recent years. Lots of references are made to broadband
as (totally) digital. Originally, the term was used to refer to
transmission of a "broad" range of frequencies through a single cable using
RF (radio frequencies) ... cable TV still does this.

Your original question was (as I interpreted the question) ... why not
modulate the entire thing like baseband? The answer to that is that you
would than only have one data stream going thru the pipe, utilizing all
available frequencies as one ... a total waste of capacity. What broadband
does is impress separate digital (on/off) signals on many multiple
frequencies, permitting a very large number of discrete data streams to go
thru that single pipe (each on a separate frequency).

Hope this clarifies the issue for you.

"David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zTN_c.679$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra

bandwidth
> > on
> > the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
> > existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple
> > DSL
> > modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.
> >

> > "David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> This is just something that intrigues me?
> >>
> >> Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
> >> and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be
> >> digital?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> D.H.
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>

> All Broadband is not Analog though I would have to say?
>
> D.H.

none

I would guess the Directway Satellite Internet signal is digital. Anyone
know for sure?

It's considered broadband.

"David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zTN_c.679$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the case of DSL, using analog allows it to utilize the extra

bandwidth
> > on
> > the existing analog voice line into homes without need for conversion of
> > existing equipment or the need for additional equipment beyond a simple
> > DSL
> > modem with a filter(s) to keep the voice out of the DSL's bandwidth.
> >

> > "David Halpern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> This is just something that intrigues me?
> >>
> >> Why wouldn't Broadband just be a digital signal
> >> and modulate the whole bandwidth essentially like baseband and be
> >> digital?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> D.H.
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>

> All Broadband is not Analog though I would have to say?
>
> D.H.

S. Gione

I would suspect that satellite transmission is also RF, which would involve
an analog-to-digital conversion.

news:qCN%c.75$(E-Mail Removed)...