Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Still Loving Python

Still Loving Python

Kamilche

I switched to Python a couple years ago, and haven't looked back. I've
used Python for many applications, including several commercial plugins
for Poser. I don't post on here much, because I don't need to; working
in Python is so obvious and easy, it's rare that I get stumped by the
limitations and need help from others. I sometimes read the group to
help others, but not very often. I just wanted to let you all know that
I'm still here, and even though I'm not vocal, I DO still use Python on
a daily basis.

Python still suffers from the lack of a good GUI, which I believe is
slowing its acceptance by the programming community at large. (I know
about tKinter, no need to post links to it, thanks.)

--Kamilche

Lawrence Oluyede

Il 2005-12-13, Kamilche <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto:
> Python still suffers from the lack of a good GUI, which I believe is
> slowing its acceptance by the programming community at large. (I know
> about tKinter, no need to post links to it, thanks.)

Let me say I'm not agree, I'm developing a lot of GUI based stuff in PyGTK
and I'll never look back. The API is not perfect but suits our needs. I'm
a Gnome lover and hence having Gnome-style GUIs it's awesome. Add the plus
that is easy and powerful and you have a good toolkit to work on. I think
that the same thing can be said about the QT-side (not sure about wx,
don't like it at all).

Python *does* have GUI, you only have to decide which one you prefer.

ps. the customer wants Windows as a platform, we develop on Linux using
PyGTK, postgre and sql server for some old data. This is the true power of
cross-platform

--
Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
"Anyone can freely use whatever he wants but the light at the end

Ivan Voras

Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
> Python *does* have GUI, you only have to decide which one you prefer.
>
> ps. the customer wants Windows as a platform, we develop on Linux using
> PyGTK, postgre and sql server for some old data. This is the true power of
> cross-platform

Maybe the OP really wants a GUI builder.

More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
missing

I only know about Glade and similar GUI builders (Boa) and they are not
even close to the robustness & ease of use. Are there any easy GUI
builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

Lawrence Oluyede

Il 2005-12-13, Ivan Voras <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto:
> More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
> still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
> in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
> missing

I used Delphi for some time. It's one of the best environments I've ever
used. The point is that every toolkit works in a different way. You
cannot have one toolkit to rule them all.

> I only know about Glade and similar GUI builders (Boa) and they are not
> even close to the robustness & ease of use.

Boa is not my tool. Glade + Pygtk (or better Gazpacho) are.

> Are there any easy GUI
> builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

No

--
Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
"Anyone can freely use whatever he wants but the light at the end
of the tunnel for most of his problems is Python"

Benji York

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Are there any easy GUI builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

wxDesigner is a really good commercial product, it's pretty inexpensive,
too. http://www.roebling.de/
--
Benji York

=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me_Laheurte?=

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:35:40 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Maybe the OP really wants a GUI builder.

> More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
> still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
> in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
> missing

Do you miss the 75+ attributes classes and globals as well ? I'm still
forced to work with Delphi from time to time (though whenever I can do
something in Python instead, I do) and it makes me want to throw up. Sure,
the designer is nice, but when you look at the generated code...

Sorry for the harsh tone, I just think GUI builders are *evil*. Except
maybe for QT Designer, which has a nice model where you implement
callbacks by subclassing the generated classes. At least you don't have to
look at the generated code.

Anyway, if the OP is looking for a 'Python Delphi', I think Boa
constructor is just that. I can't stand it

Steve Holden

Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
> Il 2005-12-13, Ivan Voras <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto:
>
>>More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
>>still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
>>in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
>>missing

> I used Delphi for some time. It's one of the best environments I've ever
> used. The point is that every toolkit works in a different way. You
> cannot have one toolkit to rule them all.
>

>>I only know about Glade and similar GUI builders (Boa) and they are not
>>even close to the robustness & ease of use.

> Boa is not my tool. Glade + Pygtk (or better Gazpacho) are.
>

>>Are there any easy GUI
>>builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

> No

There's wxDesigner. It costs money, but IMHO it's well worth the
relatively modest price.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com

gene tani

Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
> Il 2005-12-13, Kamilche <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto:
> > Python still suffers from the lack of a good GUI, which I believe is
> > slowing its acceptance by the programming community at large. (I know
> > about tKinter, no need to post links to it, thanks.)

> Let me say I'm not agree, I'm developing a lot of GUI based stuff in PyGTK
> and I'll never look back. The API is not perfect but suits our needs. I'm
> a Gnome lover and hence having Gnome-style GUIs it's awesome. Add the plus
> that is easy and powerful and you have a good toolkit to work on. I think
> that the same thing can be said about the QT-side (not sure about wx,
> don't like it at all).
>
> Python *does* have GUI, you only have to decide which one you prefer.
>
> ps. the customer wants Windows as a platform, we develop on Linux using
> PyGTK, postgre and sql server for some old data. This is the true power of
> cross-platform
>

> --
> Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
> "Anyone can freely use whatever he wants but the light at the end
> of the tunnel for most of his problems is Python"

Here are some surveys of the landscape
http://pythonology.org/howto
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo...ython?kwd=User
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Program...UI_Programming

http://www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html#gui
http://python.codezoo.com/pub/category/197
http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...n/Modules/GUI/

Ravi Teja

Nothing beats Delphi for the raw design speed and choices for GUI
development. .NET is another good option. The good news is you don't
have to loose their benefits just because we chose Python. Python for
Delphi works quite well to get you the best of both worlds. I develop
the app in Python as a library first (Python is great for quick
prototyping), make my GUI in Delphi and simply call my library from it.
Bundling Python manually into an installer can be a chore but you will
get used to it. Once IronPython is complete, it should do the same for
..NET. I currently use Boo in a similar fashion.

For simpler UIs, libglade does a great job of seperating concerns.

> Are there any easy GUI
> builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

Most UI toolkits have sort of builders
GTK - Glade
wxWindows - wxGlade
Fox - Fox Dialog Editor
FLTK - Fluid
TkInter - SpecTcl (I think I remember it exporting to Python)

Ofcourse, none are as robust as Delphi's.

Mike Meyer

Jérôme Laheurte <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:35:40 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Maybe the OP really wants a GUI builder.
>> More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
>> still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
>> in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
>> missing

> Sorry for the harsh tone, I just think GUI builders are *evil*.

I agree. I've tried a number of different gui builders. I find it much
faster to type something like:

ui.add_button("New", self.new)
ui.add_button("Open", self.open)
ui.add_button("Save", self.save)
ui.add_button("Save As", self.save_as)

Than have to drag four menu buttons from a pallette, then open the
properties of each one to edit the text of the button and the callback
entry (or whatever dance they need so you can enter the required
text).

> Anyway, if the OP is looking for a 'Python Delphi', I think Boa
> constructor is just that. I can't stand it

Never tried it. My experiences with GUI builders has convinced me I
don't want anything to do with them.

<mike

Loving Couple in Passionate Sunset Kiss Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) Digital Photography 6 03-10-2006 12:05 AM
P&S loving idiots, beware... Rich DVD Video 41 11-03-2005 09:00 PM
Loving Enums Roedy Green Java 2 07-13-2005 12:31 AM
PyCon Wiki: tender loving care needed Steve Holden Python 3 11-27-2003 01:16 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: LOVING WALTER, THE PACT OF SILENCE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 11-26-2003 10:04 AM

Advertisments