Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Newbie question.....help with choosing router.

Newbie question.....help with choosing router.

ThreeCreeks

Hi,

I'm extremely new to Cisco Routers/switches but have been tossed into the
fire! We are wanting to get an applicance that will serve as a router or
switch. We are not hooking this applicance directly to our T1 lines, but
are using Cat 5 cables.

I need the router/switch to do NAT on one subnet, allow Static IPs on
another subet, have our tech services area on a 3rd subnet, and then have
our internal LAN on the 4th subnet. (multiple ethernet ports). I need good
throughput as we are setting up a Wireless ISP and our customers will be
routed through this to a switch and then to our Telco's Cisco 4700. It must
be very configurable as well. I know squat about Linux, so if anyone knows
of a Cisco configuration (or any configuration) that can be me started in
the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

TIA!

Andrew Brott
Wireless Internet for Central Oregon

RM

What is your price range and how many actual switch ports do you need total?
Are you looking for 10/100/1000 or just 10/100 speeds?

"ThreeCreeks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm extremely new to Cisco Routers/switches but have been tossed into the
> fire! We are wanting to get an applicance that will serve as a router or
> switch. We are not hooking this applicance directly to our T1 lines, but
> are using Cat 5 cables.
>
> I need the router/switch to do NAT on one subnet, allow Static IPs on
> another subet, have our tech services area on a 3rd subnet, and then have
> our internal LAN on the 4th subnet. (multiple ethernet ports). I need

good
> throughput as we are setting up a Wireless ISP and our customers will be
> routed through this to a switch and then to our Telco's Cisco 4700. It

must
> be very configurable as well. I know squat about Linux, so if anyone

knows
> of a Cisco configuration (or any configuration) that can be me started in
> the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!
>
> TIA!
>
> Andrew Brott
> Wireless Internet for Central Oregon
> (E-Mail Removed)

me

Price range is part of what I am trying to determine still, but I need at
least 16 ports at 10/100/1000 speeds.

"RM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Giv_c.6332$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is your price range and how many actual switch ports do you need

total?
> Are you looking for 10/100/1000 or just 10/100 speeds?
>

> "ThreeCreeks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm extremely new to Cisco Routers/switches but have been tossed into

the
> > fire! We are wanting to get an applicance that will serve as a router

or
> > switch. We are not hooking this applicance directly to our T1 lines,

but
> > are using Cat 5 cables.
> >
> > I need the router/switch to do NAT on one subnet, allow Static IPs on
> > another subet, have our tech services area on a 3rd subnet, and then

have
> > our internal LAN on the 4th subnet. (multiple ethernet ports). I need

> good
> > throughput as we are setting up a Wireless ISP and our customers will be
> > routed through this to a switch and then to our Telco's Cisco 4700. It

> must
> > be very configurable as well. I know squat about Linux, so if anyone

> knows
> > of a Cisco configuration (or any configuration) that can be me started

in
> > the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Andrew Brott
> > Wireless Internet for Central Oregon
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Switching between automatic IP address/DNS server, and choosing my =?Utf-8?B?cGpkcnVtbWVy?= Wireless Networking 4 09-08-2005 02:49 PM
Choosing PLL ALuPin VHDL 1 07-28-2004 10:01 PM
choosing between mozilla and netscape WicKeD Firefox 4 01-08-2004 11:26 AM
Help in choosing university for MS-PhD in VLSI Ranjith VHDL 0 11-25-2003 12:31 PM
Need help choosing the right router. Robert Le Feve Cisco 3 11-19-2003 02:31 AM

Advertisments