Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3524 XL to basic switch

3524 XL to basic switch

John Olinger

I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.

Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
mode?

Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
fiber modules or have to buy new switches).

I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.

Please respond to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

chris@nospam.com

On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Olinger) wrote:

>I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
>switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
>devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
>wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
>that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
>previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
>
>Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
>mode?
>
>Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
>root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
>switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
>fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
>fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
>
>I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
>I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
>
>Please respond to (E-Mail Removed)

It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
on the switch.

If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
"password recovery 3524".

-Chris

John Olinger

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Olinger) wrote:
>
> >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
> >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
> >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
> >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
> >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
> >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
> >
> >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
> >mode?
> >
> >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
> >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
> >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
> >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
> >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
> >
> >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
> >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
> >
> >Please respond to (E-Mail Removed)

> It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
> Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
> performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
> on the switch.
>
> If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
> "password recovery 3524".
>
> -Chris

This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?

PES

"John Olinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Olinger) wrote:
>>
>> >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
>> >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
>> >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
>> >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
>> >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
>> >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
>> >
>> >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
>> >mode?
>> >
>> >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
>> >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
>> >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
>> >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
>> >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
>> >
>> >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
>> >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
>> >
>> >Please respond to (E-Mail Removed)

>> It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
>> Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
>> performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
>> on the switch.
>>
>> If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
>> "password recovery 3524".
>>
>> -Chris

> This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
> anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
> and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
> Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
> remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
> their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?

Cisco support is usually pretty good. They will help with this. If you
simply want to make sure that speed and duplex is auto, you can do the
following.

Telnet to the switch:

enable
show run

on the screen look for "speed x" or "duplex x"

If there are any settings, note each interface number (fastethernet 0/x)

go to config mode by typing

"conf t"

modify the interfaces that you noted

"interface 0/x"
"no speed"
"no duplex"
"exit"

do the next int

exit global config

"exit"

at the prompt that is switchname#

type the following to save the config
write mem

Also, in the config you will probably want to make sure spanning tree is
disabled, or that there is a command under each interfaces that enables
"spanning-tree portfast".

chris@nospam.com

On 3 Sep 2004 13:19:55 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Olinger) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Olinger) wrote:
>>
>> >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
>> >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
>> >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
>> >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
>> >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
>> >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
>> >
>> >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
>> >mode?
>> >
>> >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
>> >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
>> >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
>> >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
>> >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
>> >
>> >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
>> >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
>> >
>> >Please respond to (E-Mail Removed)

>> It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
>> Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
>> performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
>> on the switch.
>>
>> If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
>> "password recovery 3524".
>>
>> -Chris

>This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
>anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
>and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
>Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
>remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
>their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?

Not sure I'd trust a stranger to setup my switch.

Anyway, if you want more specific help, you'll probably need to post
the configuration. Here's some quick steps.

1. Telnet to the switch, using the password.
2. Enter "enable" and give it the password again
3. Enter "show run" (short for show running-config)
4. Copy and post the config file. For security reasons, you should
edit out any passwords (even encrypted ones) or publicly accessible ip
address.

Looking at the config you'll see sections call interface fastethernet
0/1. Within those sections, you'll commands that configure that
particular port. If you see "duplex full" then the port has been set
to full duplex, etc.

To change the config, from the enabled cli type "config t".
Then enter "interface fa 0/1" for port 1, etc
Then enter whatever setting. For example no duplex (meaning no fixed
setting). I recommend "spanning-tree portfast" for ports connected to
PCs and the normal spanning tree routine can cause problems getting
dhcp reservations. Type exit to get out of the config mode.

When you're done and happy with the running config, you can save it by
"copy run start". You can also copy the config to a tftp server with
"copy run tftp".

A very helpful hint is that you can hit tab anytime to get a list of
possible commands or to auto complete the line.

John Olinger

Your posts have been helpful. Yet, I'm still so new at Cisco cli and
the terminology. From time to time, I've subcontracted consultants to
assist me with unfamiliar technology. Do you know of any Cisco
consultants/orgs that may be able to help? Obviously, I want a legit
consultant and/or company. I've worked with Cisco support to
establish a case, but our support contract is no longer valid. And to
be honest, I don't care to know Cisco. I'm more of an software
AD/DNS/Exchange/Sharepoint/VeritasBE/AV guy.

DL

Hi..

If you still need help on this issue or looking for a Cisco expert for
contracted support, I will be able to help. I'm a Sr. Network
Engineer who has been working with routers/switches for 7 yrs. I
provide my service for reasonable fee. Please contact me at
"(E-Mail Removed)" for further info.

Thanks.