Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Trouble with idle from python 2.4.2 on SUSE linux 9.3

Trouble with idle from python 2.4.2 on SUSE linux 9.3

Alasdair

I've just installed python 2.4.2 from source - it works fine from the
command line. But when I attempt to start idle, I am told:

** IDLE can't import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for
Tk. **

I have tcl 8.4 and tk 8.4 on my system; can anybody provide me with
some advice?

Sorry if this is a FAQ; I've spent some time searching the net for
helpful clues, and I am a python ultra-newbie.

Thanks,
Alasdair

Peter Otten

Alasdair wrote:

> I've just installed python 2.4.2 from source - it works fine from the
> command line. But when I attempt to start idle, I am told:
>
> ** IDLE can't import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for
> Tk. **
>
> I have tcl 8.4 and tk 8.4 on my system; can anybody provide me with
> some advice?

I think you need to install the tcl-devel and tk-devel packages, too.

Peter

Alasdair

Thanks - that did the trick! I wonder why it's not mentioned in the
README, or (so far as I can tell) anywhere else?

-Alasdair