Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > verifying multicasting

verifying multicasting

J R

Greetings,

My network has not required the implementation of multicasting until
recently. With the advent of a new operating system on our workstations, we
have determined that we need to implement multicasting on a case by case
basis. How can I determine whether or not multicasting is enabled on a
switch or router (layer 2 and 3 devices, with either CatOS or IOS)?

Thanks,
JR

mh

for IOS:

STUB#sh ip multi
Multicast Routing: disabled
Multicast Multipath: disabled
Multicast Route limit: No limit
Multicast Triggered RPF check: enabled
Multicast Fallback group mode: Dense

STUB(config)#ip multicast-routing

STUB#sh ip multi
Multicast Routing: enabled <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Multicast Multipath: disabled
Multicast Route limit: No limit
Multicast Triggered RPF check: enabled
Multicast Fallback group mode: Dense

J R

So, if I have the following on a 7206, is this telling me that Multicasting
is enabled, but I just don't have any routes?

ROUTER-NAME#sh ip mroute
IP Multicast Routing Table
Flags: D - Dense, S - Sparse, B - Bidir Group, s - SSM Group, C - Connected,
L - Local, P - Pruned, R - RP-bit set, F - Register flag,
T - SPT-bit set, J - Join SPT, M - MSDP created entry,
X - Proxy Join Timer Running, A - Candidate for MSDP Advertisement,
U - URD, I - Received Source Specific Host Report, Z - Multicast
Tunnel
Y - Joined MDT-data group, y - Sending to MDT-data group
Outgoing interface flags: H - Hardware switched
Timers: Uptime/Expires
Interface state: Interface, Next-Hop or VCD, State/Mode

Thanks,
J R

Ivan Ostres

In article <ch5r61$n5o$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Subject: Re: verifying multicasting
> From: "J R" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
>
> So, if I have the following on a 7206, is this telling me that Multicasting
> is enabled, but I just don't have any routes?
>

> ROUTER-NAME#sh ip mroute
> IP Multicast Routing Table
> Flags: D - Dense, S - Sparse, B - Bidir Group, s - SSM Group, C - Connected,
> L - Local, P - Pruned, R - RP-bit set, F - Register flag,
> T - SPT-bit set, J - Join SPT, M - MSDP created entry,
> X - Proxy Join Timer Running, A - Candidate for MSDP Advertisement,
> U - URD, I - Received Source Specific Host Report, Z - Multicast
> Tunnel
> Y - Joined MDT-data group, y - Sending to MDT-data group
> Outgoing interface flags: H - Hardware switched
> Timers: Uptime/Expires
> Interface state: Interface, Next-Hop or VCD, State/Mode

Wild guess: you have 'ip multicast-routing' but don't have any multicast
routiing protocol enabled?

--
-Ivan.