Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to get started in GUI Programming?

How to get started in GUI Programming?

peter.mosley@talk21.com

I am trying to learn GUI programming in Python, but have to confess I
am finding it difficult.

I am not an experienced programmer - just someone who from time to
time writes small programs for my use. Over the years I have moved
from GWBASIC to QBASIC to Visual Basic, and now trying to move across
to a Linux platform. Python seems to be the best compromise between
the limitations of command line basic programming and the total
incomprehensibility of C.

Googling around it seems the best GUI is either Tkinter or PyGtk. I
found a book which recommended PyGtk, as it had a graphical design
option, Glade. Coming from a VB background I latched onto that and
bought the book (Beginning Python, Wrox), but it was a disappointment
(or more accurately a complete waste of money) - there was
insufficient detail in the text.

I've found the tutorial and reference manual on the PyGtk web site,
but although I've made some progress, I keep reaching points where I
have insufficient background to understand them. Currently I'm stuck
on dialog boxes (the code seems immensely complex for the equivalent of
MsgBox("Do you really want to do this ",vbYesNo) and I haven't
got it to work properly yet) and loading graphical images in anything
other than their original size, but every new step brings another
struggle

I've seen reference to a Tkinter book - something like 'Python
and Tkinter Programming' but it seems to be out of print and
unavailable.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the least painful way forwards?

(Email address was valid once but has long since been abandoned to
spam. Please rely via newsgroup)

Sybren Stuvel

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with:
> Googling around it seems the best GUI is either Tkinter or PyGtk.

I'd go for wxPython

Sybren
Frank Zappa

Thomas Guettler

Am Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:02:40 -0800 schrieb peter.mosley:

> I am trying to learn GUI programming in Python, but have to confess I
> am finding it difficult.

Yes, if you come from Visual Basic you might be missing something.
I developed with Visual Basic some time ago and like some parts of it.

> I've found the tutorial and reference manual on the PyGtk web site,
> but although I've made some progress, I keep reaching points where I
> have insufficient background to understand them. Currently I'm stuck
> on dialog boxes (the code seems immensely complex for the equivalent of
> MsgBox("Do you really want to do this ",vbYesNo)

search for yesNoDialog here:
http://guettli.sourceforge.net/gthum...ditMetadata.py

> and I haven't
> got it to work properly yet) and loading graphical images in anything
> other than their original size, but every new step brings another
> struggle

search for scale2pixbuf in the link.

> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the least painful way forwards?

Only the beginning is painful. After some time you don't miss anything
from Visual Basic anymore.

Happy Learning,
Thomas

--
Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/
Spam Catcher: (E-Mail Removed)

Peter Decker

On 11/25/05, Sybren Stuvel <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I'd go for wxPython

I'd go for Dabo, which is a Pythonic wrapper around wxPython. They are
even working on a visual design tool to lay out your UI, much as you
would in Visual Basic.

--

# p.d.

Szabolcs Nagy

have you tried gtk.MessageDialog ?

http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference...agedialog.html

Steve

> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the least painful way forwards?

http://www.ferg.org/easygui/index.html

UrsusMaximus@gmail.com

Hello Peter,

I am going to recommend EasyGui which can be found at
http://www.ferg.org/easygui/ because it is (by far) the easiest
possible GUI creation tool using Python.

If (or when) your needs require more complex options than easygui
provides, you might try looking at my GUI toolkits page,
http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html which has short descriptions of
and links to several Python GUI toolkits. Among these, my personal
favorite is PythonCard which is a framework that uses a visual GUI
creation tool and uses the wxPython widgets. I have found PythonCard to
be much easier to get started with than Glade.

I also did a podcast describing Python's GUI options, from a beginner's
point of view, which can be found on my Python podcasts page,
http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html (scroll down to near the
bottom to find the "Choose Your GUI Toolkit" podcast from back in July.

But by all means don't forget to check out Easygui. Steve Ferg has made
a tool that is incredibly simple to learn and use, and sometimes it
sure is nice to get instant gratification by achieving quick success
and useful results. ))

Ron Stephens
Foundation</a>

pdalet

If you come from visual basic, I suggest to use pythoncard GUI, which
is
very simple to develop with a Ressource Editor (create a panel, see
labwindows, visual basic ..).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb2py/
a package to transform VB to pythoncard

http://www.linux2000.com/pimp.html
a pythoncard application

Philippe DALET
Lyp champollion
46100 FIGEAC
FRANCE

(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :

> I am trying to learn GUI programming in Python, but have to confess I
> am finding it difficult.
>
> I am not an experienced programmer - just someone who from time to
> time writes small programs for my use. Over the years I have moved
> from GWBASIC to QBASIC to Visual Basic, and now trying to move across
> to a Linux platform. Python seems to be the best compromise between
> the limitations of command line basic programming and the total
> incomprehensibility of C.
>
> Googling around it seems the best GUI is either Tkinter or PyGtk. I
> found a book which recommended PyGtk, as it had a graphical design
> option, Glade. Coming from a VB background I latched onto that and
> bought the book (Beginning Python, Wrox), but it was a disappointment
> (or more accurately a complete waste of money) - there was
> insufficient detail in the text.
>
> I've found the tutorial and reference manual on the PyGtk web site,
> but although I've made some progress, I keep reaching points where I
> have insufficient background to understand them. Currently I'm stuck
> on dialog boxes (the code seems immensely complex for the equivalent of
> MsgBox("Do you really want to do this ",vbYesNo) and I haven't
> got it to work properly yet) and loading graphical images in anything
> other than their original size, but every new step brings another
> struggle
>
> I've seen reference to a Tkinter book - something like 'Python
> and Tkinter Programming' but it seems to be out of print and
> unavailable.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the least painful way forwards?
>
> (Email address was valid once but has long since been abandoned to
> spam. Please rely via newsgroup)

flamesrock

The best, in my opinion is wxPython.

I recommend getting wxGlade and just fiddling around. You should be
able to produce some interesting GUI's fairly easily.

BartlebyScrivener

Search this group for PythonCard and wxPython for gobs of opinions. For
descriptions of other resources, try:

http://www.fredshack.com/docs/python.html

bs