Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > tkinter and cygwin

tkinter and cygwin

gh14tq5@yahoo.com

Hi,

I've recently started learning python programming and have been
experimenting with a few basic GUI programs. My work system is
cygwin/Windows XP. I use X-windows in cygwin but when I run my
python/tkinter program from an x-win terminal , a normal XP window is
opened up. Any text output from the program of course shows up in the
terminal I started the program from. Is there a way to make python open
up a window in the X display instead of an XP window? It's really
annoying because if I click on another window or terminal in the
X-window screen, the X-window display will then cover up the python GUI.

Thanks,
John

Jason Tishler

John,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:18:09PM +0900, John wrote:
> I've recently started learning python programming and have been
> experimenting with a few basic GUI programs. My work system is
> cygwin/Windows XP. I use X-windows in cygwin but when I run my
> python/tkinter program from an x-win terminal , a normal XP window is
> opened up.

For better or worse, Cygwin's tcltk package is essentially a Win32
build. So, the behavior you are observing is expected although not
necessarily desired.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6