Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ATA 186

ATA 186

RC

I posted this just before leaving on vacation, and I don't know why but I
didn't see it on the group. So here I go again.

I'm going to be doing some evaluation of the Cisco ATA and figured I'd start
with a used ATA 186. I've noticed people referring to them as "locked",
what is meant by this?

Also, I wanted to see what the password recover procedure was but couldn't
find it on the Cisco site. Anyone know this.

Thanks
RC

Scooby

"RC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ttIYc.31071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I posted this just before leaving on vacation, and I don't know why but I
> didn't see it on the group. So here I go again.
>
> I'm going to be doing some evaluation of the Cisco ATA and figured I'd

start
> with a used ATA 186. I've noticed people referring to them as "locked",
> what is meant by this?
>
> Also, I wanted to see what the password recover procedure was but couldn't
> find it on the Cisco site. Anyone know this.
>
> Thanks
> RC

There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people mean
by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device is
no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
that is 'unlocked' (no password set).

Hope that helps,

Jim

RC

This is odd, Cisco gave me two methods depending on FW version. They may be
wrong, first line TAC isn't always right, but it is rare. Does anyone have a
locked ATA 186 that they want to try it out on? Email me direct and I'll
send the instructions, I don't want to post what may be bad information. And
if it trashes you ATA, that's not my responsibility, you do this at your own
risk.

rcohen at acstech dot com

and please use a corporate email address, no yahoo, AOL, or other ISP or
Free domain.

> There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people

mean
> by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
> service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device

is
> no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
> purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
> that is 'unlocked' (no password set).
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jim

chris@nospam.com

And those methods were? Entering "factreset" can be disabled on the
newer firmware.

-Chris

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:26:05 -0400, "RC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is odd, Cisco gave me two methods depending on FW version. They may be
>wrong, first line TAC isn't always right, but it is rare. Does anyone have a
>locked ATA 186 that they want to try it out on? Email me direct and I'll
>send the instructions, I don't want to post what may be bad information. And
>if it trashes you ATA, that's not my responsibility, you do this at your own
>risk.
>
>rcohen at acstech dot com
>
>and please use a corporate email address, no yahoo, AOL, or other ISP or
>Free domain.
>
>> There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people

>mean
>> by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
>> service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device

>is
>> no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
>> purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
>> that is 'unlocked' (no password set).
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Jim

hari

send me the proceedure
for my reference offline message

hari

"RC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<jbm%c.25047$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> This is odd, Cisco gave me two methods depending on FW version. They may be
> wrong, first line TAC isn't always right, but it is rare. Does anyone have a
> locked ATA 186 that they want to try it out on? Email me direct and I'll
> send the instructions, I don't want to post what may be bad information. And
> if it trashes you ATA, that's not my responsibility, you do this at your own
> risk.
>
> rcohen at acstech dot com
>
> and please use a corporate email address, no yahoo, AOL, or other ISP or
> Free domain.
>
> > There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people

> mean
> > by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
> > service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device

> is
> > no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
> > purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
> > that is 'unlocked' (no password set).
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > Jim

RC

Since the methods were unconfirmed and possible incorrect I asked for people
to contact me off-list (I like to be 100% sure before posting something).

As it turns out it, from what you posted, the information I got was
incorrect. Thanks.

One question, is disabling of "factreset" done in the firmware (on a bit
level), or is it a configuration setting?

RC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

chris@nospam.com

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:52:55 -0400, "RC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since the methods were unconfirmed and possible incorrect I asked for people
>to contact me off-list (I like to be 100% sure before posting something).
>
>As it turns out it, from what you posted, the information I got was
>incorrect. Thanks.
>
>One question, is disabling of "factreset" done in the firmware (on a bit
>level), or is it a configuration setting?
>
>RC

It's a config setting.

-Chris

chris@nospam.com

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:00:32 -0400, "RC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Now I have an odd request, does anyone have a "Locked" Cisco ATA 186 or 188
>that they've given up on? I want to try a little expariment or two involving
>reading the binary directly from the flash or eeprom and compairing it to
>the original firmware in an attempt to locate and change the dissable reset
>option. Or, optionally just remove the configuration all together.
>
>The fine print
>THIS COULD RESULT IN A DEAD ATA THAT IS UNRECOVERABLE AND UNREPAIRABLE.
>I'm not asking to buy it, just borrow it. If it works we can sell it on eBay
>and split the sell price 50/50, or the owner can pay me 1/2 the value (based
>on the final selling price of a similar unit on eBay). Or if you have a
>garage full of them we can work something out where I unlock them and you
>can do whatever you want with your, now unlocked, ATAs.
>
>Any takers?

I have sucessfully copied the eeprom from one unit into another. This
was to fix a dead unit whose power was dropped during a fw upgrade.

The copy worked and repaired the unit, although it now has the sam mac
address as the other unit. I editted the eeprom image to alter the
mac address, but I never could get the checksum correct and the ATA
would not boot with the change. I ended up swapping in another eeprom
out of a unit that died a horrible death after someone spilled coke in
it (ate most of the traces off the board)

I haven't had the time to look at the checksums further or figure out
which ranges of the eeprom have the fw and which had the settings. I
do recall that the eeprom used can be selectively erased in 256k
segments, so I suspect the firmware and settings are in different
segments. Again just haven't had the time to mess with it.

-Chris

jkara jkara is offline
Junior Member

hi Chris,
I have a unit ata-186-l1 revision b.0 could you please send me the flash image contents, from a working and unlocked unit.

I have already read the contents of the 28SF040A flash, software version v3.1 (i think latest version is v3.2)

thanks anyway

jack