Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > which protocol analyzer

which protocol analyzer

Benson

Hi,

I am new to the network monitoring, I would like to find a protocol
analyzer to see each protocol flowing through each port of a Cisco LAN
Switch, or a Router, any recommendation ?

Thank you

Mirko Kulpa

Benson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the network monitoring, I would like to find a protocol
> analyzer to see each protocol flowing through each port of a Cisco LAN
> Switch, or a Router, any recommendation ?
>
> Thank you

Take a look at ethereal.

<http://www.ethereal.com/>

Mirko
--
http://uridium.net/net/guide2na - Fehlersuche in Netzwerken

Cletus Van Damme

I'll second that - Ethereal is a very nice packet sniffer and the price is
right (free). Once you get Ethereal, look into setting up SPAN on your
switch.

Cletus

"Mirko Kulpa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Benson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to the network monitoring, I would like to find a protocol
>> analyzer to see each protocol flowing through each port of a Cisco LAN
>> Switch, or a Router, any recommendation ?
>>
>> Thank you

> Take a look at ethereal.
>
> <http://www.ethereal.com/>
>

> Mirko
> --
> http://uridium.net/net/guide2na - Fehlersuche in Netzwerken

Benson

Thank you very much for your replies;

As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS. Can
it be used int Router or Switch, or network ?

Span is the used to copy the traffic of each port to a specific port,
so that we can collect the total traffic of a switch or a router. Can
I use it for each port ?

I am using the MRTG for monitoring the port traffic of Routers and
Switches, but I can not analyse the protocol and Layer 4 port in each
port ( layer 2 ) of the Cisco Router and Switch, what should I do ?

Thank you
Benson

"Cletus Van Damme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4131c208$0$65572$(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> I'll second that - Ethereal is a very nice packet sniffer and the price is
> right (free). Once you get Ethereal, look into setting up SPAN on your
> switch.
>
> Cletus
>
> "Mirko Kulpa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Benson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am new to the network monitoring, I would like to find a protocol
> >> analyzer to see each protocol flowing through each port of a Cisco LAN
> >> Switch, or a Router, any recommendation ?
> >>
> >> Thank you

> > Take a look at ethereal.
> >
> > <http://www.ethereal.com/>
> >

> > Mirko
> > --
> > http://uridium.net/net/guide2na - Fehlersuche in Netzwerken

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Benson) wrote:

> Thank you very much for your replies;
>
> As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS. Can
> it be used int Router or Switch, or network ?

It's also available for Windows. You can't run it on the router or
switch; Cisco doesn't provide any way to load user programs.

> Span is the used to copy the traffic of each port to a specific port,
> so that we can collect the total traffic of a switch or a router. Can
> I use it for each port ?

Yes. Connect the analyzer to the SPAN port, and it will be able to
capture the traffic and display it.

> I am using the MRTG for monitoring the port traffic of Routers and
> Switches, but I can not analyse the protocol and Layer 4 port in each
> port ( layer 2 ) of the Cisco Router and Switch, what should I do ?

MRTG just uses SNMP to get traffic statistics from the router/switch.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
| (E-Mail Removed) (Benson) wrote:
|> As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS.

|It's also available for Windows. You can't run it on the router or
|switch; Cisco doesn't provide any way to load user programs.

Wot? No-one re-written it into TCL yet to run on a GSR??

The topic reminds me that I have heard of some people doing open
source IOS-equivilent, so someone must have figured out how to get
user binaries to load. And I seem to recall that if you use the right
'show' incantation (something in the neighbourhood of 'show process')
that you even get the code entry points of the various routines. All
of which suggests that you *might* be able to put together a loader
to load user code, then load regular IOS, then through -some- mechanism
get back control long ehough to patch IOS. This is speculation and
extrapolation on my part, and even just -thinking- about it probably
voids my warranty
--
"The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
-- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

AnyBody43

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> |In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> | (E-Mail Removed) (Benson) wrote:
> |> As I know Ethereal is a monitoring tool used in Linux or Unix OS.
>
> |It's also available for Windows. You can't run it on the router or
> |switch; Cisco doesn't provide any way to load user programs.
>
> Wot? No-one re-written it into TCL yet to run on a GSR??
>

> The topic reminds me that I have heard of some people doing open
> source IOS-equivilent,
> This is speculation and
> extrapolation on my part, and even just -thinking- about it probably
> voids my warranty

http://www.mcvax.org/~koen/uClinux-c...platforms.html
Says it runs on 3000, 2500, 4000 (all 68000 based).
Note for those newish to Cisco, these are all now obsolete
except maybe for the 2500, I can't be bothered to look.

For brain pain, see:-
http://www.mcvax.org/%7Ekoen/uClinux...0/exotica.html
Hurts my head anyway.