Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Want to perform unattended installation of SW using python

Want to perform unattended installation of SW using python

28tommy

Hi,

I'm trying to automate an installation of some SW that is installed on
Windows (you know - 'Start' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Finish' kind of
installation). Is ther any way to perform that using python?

Thank you.

tommy

aum

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:57:04 -0800, 28tommy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to automate an installation of some SW that is installed on
> Windows (you know - 'Start' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Finish' kind of
> installation). Is ther any way to perform that using python?

Quick answer is yes, very much so. What /can't/ you do in python?

I presume that by 'start -> next -> next' you're referring to
'installation wizards'. You can write those in python, using any of the
available GUI programming libraries, such as Tkinter, wxPython, PyFLTK,
FoxPY, PyQt or whatever appeals. PyFLTK and wxPython have Wizard widgets
built in, and quite likely PyQt does as well.

--
Cheers
aum

28tommy

Hi,

first of all- thanks for the quick answer.
You presumed correctly, but unfortunately, I Don't have control of the
preparation process of the package, so I get it as is. I just need to
answer it's questions on each screen of the wizard...

10x again
tommy

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

28tommy wrote:
> I'm trying to automate an installation of some SW that is installed on
> Windows (you know - 'Start' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Next' ==> 'Finish' kind of
> installation). Is ther any way to perform that using python?

While that is possible in Python, it is very tedious to do: you
essentially have to generate mouse clicks for the application, using
the Win32 API.

Most packaging tools provide some support for unattended installation,
so I would rather research what options to pass to the installer to
make it non-interactive.

Regards,
Martin

Claudio Grondi

Use AutoIt3 for it and be happy:
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/.
And if you need Python to be involved in this process, just write out the
AutoIt script from Python and then run the AutoIt script from Python, what
makes you twice that happy.
If you want, you can reinvent the wheel using Python ctypes and the
Win32 API, but what for, if AutoIt is already there and has done it
all in an excellent way?

Claudio

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...