Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Cursor Position.

Cursor Position.

Samantha

Looking at the goto(xy) thread.
Is there a way to get the X,Y position from a cursor click and then use the
position to apply something like a water mark on an image at that position?
Thanks,

Fredrik Lundh

"Samantha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Looking at the goto(xy) thread.
> Is there a way to get the X,Y position from a cursor click and then use the
> position to apply something like a water mark on an image at that position?

All GUI toolkits can handle the "click here" part. Which one are you using ?

to apply water marks, use PIL:

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil

</F>

Samantha

I will be using Tkinter. All I need is a way to get the X,Y position from a
mouse click. I am trying to have an image loaded to click on, but that seems
to be a problem. So if I can just get the position from the screen of a
graphics program, showing an image, it will work for me.
"Fredrik Lundh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Samantha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the goto(xy) thread.
>> Is there a way to get the X,Y position from a cursor click and then use
>> the
>> position to apply something like a water mark on an image at that
>> position?

> All GUI toolkits can handle the "click here" part. Which one are you
> using ?
>
> to apply water marks, use PIL:
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil
>
> </F>

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:07:00 -0800, "Samantha" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Looking at the goto(xy) thread.
> Is there a way to get the X,Y position from a cursor click and then use the
> position to apply something like a water mark on an image at that position?
> Thanks,

The gotoXY subject is in reference to a TEXT-only console (a command
line)...

If you are manipulating images, you're in GUI environment. So far as
I know, practically all GUI toolkits have some means of tracking mouse
movements... Look for a mouse-button-down/up event.
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Juho Schultz

Samantha wrote:
> I will be using Tkinter. All I need is a way to get the X,Y position from a
> mouse click. I am trying to have an image loaded to click on, but that seems
> to be a problem. So if I can just get the position from the screen of a
> graphics program, showing an image, it will work for me.

If you use TkInter, use also these:
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tk...tion/index.htm
http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/

For mouse click position, this might be helpful:
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tk...d-bindings.htm

Diez B. Roggisch

Samantha wrote:
> I will be using Tkinter. All I need is a way to get the X,Y position from a
> mouse click. I am trying to have an image loaded to click on, but that seems
> to be a problem. So if I can just get the position from the screen of a
> graphics program, showing an image, it will work for me.

Won't be easy - a toolkit (like tkinter) will only cpature your mous
events that are directed towards it's own windows. You might be able to
convince your program to collect mouse-events outside for a short period
of time - like snapshot programs do - but that will reqiure pretty
complicated, OS-dependant coding. Certainly way more complicated than
time there.

Diez

Samantha

Diez,
> Won't be easy - a toolkit (like tkinter) will only capture your mouse
> events that are directed towards it's own windows.

That is my exact problem. I want to have the mouse event captured from
another application window. In this case an image window opened in Paint
Shop Pro that by the way uses Python to make scripts. I would like to be
able to click on the image and get the X,Y positions. I have been able to
get the X,Y from Tkinter own window as you say. Once I have those positions
I can use them in a Paint Shop Pro script.
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any advise as to how I can do what I am
trying or is it, in a practical matter, impossible.

"Diez B. Roggisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Samantha wrote:
>> I will be using Tkinter. All I need is a way to get the X,Y position from
>> a mouse click. I am trying to have an image loaded to click on, but that
>> seems to be a problem. So if I can just get the position from the screen
>> of a graphics program, showing an image, it will work for me.

> Won't be easy - a toolkit (like tkinter) will only cpature your mous
> events that are directed towards it's own windows. You might be able to
> convince your program to collect mouse-events outside for a short period
> of time - like snapshot programs do - but that will reqiure pretty
> complicated, OS-dependant coding. Certainly way more complicated than
> time there.
>
> Diez

Diez B. Roggisch

> That is my exact problem. I want to have the mouse event captured from
> another application window. In this case an image window opened in Paint
> Shop Pro that by the way uses Python to make scripts. I would like to be
> able to click on the image and get the X,Y positions. I have been able to
> get the X,Y from Tkinter own window as you say. Once I have those positions
> I can use them in a Paint Shop Pro script.
> Thanks for your reply. Do you have any advise as to how I can do what I am
> trying or is it, in a practical matter, impossible.

As I said - it certainly is doable. But I fear not in tkinter "as is"
(you can use tk still for your _own_ gui), and not without deeper
knowledge of the windows event system. Then mark hammond's win32
extensions are a starting point. And you should search for example code
on MSDN or something like that (obviously _not_ in python), to get a
starting point.

Regards,

Diez

snoe

This script should be a good start:
from ctypes import *
import time

PUL = POINTER(c_ulong)
class KeyBdInput(Structure):
_fields_ = [("wVk", c_ushort),
("wScan", c_ushort),
("dwFlags", c_ulong),
("time", c_ulong),
("dwExtraInfo", PUL)]

class HardwareInput(Structure):
_fields_ = [("uMsg", c_ulong),
("wParamL", c_short),
("wParamH", c_ushort)]

class MouseInput(Structure):
_fields_ = [("dx", c_long),
("dy", c_long),
("mouseData", c_ulong),
("dwFlags", c_ulong),
("time",c_ulong),
("dwExtraInfo", PUL)]

class Input_I(Union):
_fields_ = [("ki", KeyBdInput),
("mi", MouseInput),
("hi", HardwareInput)]

class Input(Structure):
_fields_ = [("type", c_ulong),
("ii", Input_I)]

class POINT(Structure):
_fields_ = [("x", c_ulong),
("y", c_ulong)]

def Click(x,y):

orig = POINT()

windll.user32.GetCursorPos(byref(orig))

windll.user32.SetCursorPos(x,y)

FInputs = Input * 2
extra = c_ulong(0)

ii_ = Input_I()
ii_.mi = MouseInput( 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, pointer(extra) )

ii2_ = Input_I()
ii2_.mi = MouseInput( 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, pointer(extra) )

x = FInputs( ( 0, ii_ ), ( 0, ii2_ ) )

windll.user32.SendInput(2, pointer(x), sizeof(x[0]))

return orig.x, orig.y

how to tell if cursor is sqlite.Cursor or psycopg2.Cursor dmaziuk Python 3 01-25-2011 04:52 AM
Declare Cursor error while implementing SCROLL CURSOR invy C Programming 4 12-28-2006 02:35 PM
Changing DEFAULT cursor to WAIT cursor in ASP =?Utf-8?B?VG9tYXMgS2VwaWM=?= ASP .Net 1 04-05-2005 07:42 PM
Default Cursor Placement Bob Firefox 2 02-25-2005 05:17 AM
Cursor while typing FlyCat Firefox 2 08-01-2004 01:36 AM

Advertisments