Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Writing Win32 shell extensions in python?

Writing Win32 shell extensions in python?

Thomas W

Well, is it possible to write Win32 shell extension in python? I want
to create a virtual folder ( like gmailfs ) to serve files from a
http-server ( and no, I cannot use webdav ) so that users can access
them like normal files in Windows Explorer.

Any hints or info about this would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas

Fredrik Lundh

"Thomas W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, is it possible to write Win32 shell extension in python? I want
> to create a virtual folder ( like gmailfs ) to serve files from a
> http-server ( and no, I cannot use webdav ) so that users can access
> them like normal files in Windows Explorer.
>
> Any hints or info about this would be highly appreciated.

typing your subject into a google search box brings up plenty of hits,
including

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ch/271141.html

From: Roger Upole
Date: Tue Mar 15 12:39:43 CET 2005

There's an example shell extension in the Pywin32 demos
that creates a pseudo-folder whose contents are determined by
python code. Take a look at
\win32comext\shell\demos\servers\shell_view.py.
However, I don't think it qualifies as 'simple'

(alright, that one was two clicks away from the search result, not one, but
that's close enough)

here's a direct pointer to an on-line copy of that script, btw:

http://tinyurl.com/babct

(that copy may be outdated; you may want to get the latest version from the
pywin package before you start hacking on this)

</F>