Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Vlan Subnets

Vlan Subnets

John Smith

Gang,

I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm compliant
routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
vlans.

Say if I wanted to assign

Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0

How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

Thanks

Jhon

Ivan Ostres

In article <6KhWc.8015$L94.2929@fed1read07>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Subject: Vlan Subnets
> From: "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
>
> Gang,
>

> I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm compliant
> routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
> But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
> vlans.
>
> Say if I wanted to assign
>
> Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
> Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
> Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0
>
> How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

Which switch?

--
-Ivan.

John Smith

it is a 2900 xl
"Ivan Ostres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <6KhWc.8015$L94.2929@fed1read07>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Subject: Vlan Subnets
> > From: "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
> >
> > Gang,
> >

> > I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm

compliant
> > routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
> > But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
> > vlans.
> >
> > Say if I wanted to assign
> >
> > Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
> > Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
> > Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0
> >
> > How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?
> >

> Which switch?
>
> --
> -Ivan.
>
> *** Use Rot13 to see my eMail address ***

Christoph Weber-Fahr

John Smith wrote:
> "Ivan Ostres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>In article <6KhWc.8015$L94.2929@fed1read07>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>From: "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm
>>>compliant routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
>>>But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
>>>vlans.
>>>
>>>Say if I wanted to assign
>>>
>>>Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
>>>Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
>>>Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0
>>>
>>>How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

>>Which switch?

> it is a 2900 xl

That switch will of course switch them happily within their
respective vlans, but it will not route between them. You need
a router for that.

Regards

Christoph Weber-Fahr