Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > IDE recommendation please

IDE recommendation please

microsnot

I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use Mac
OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't think
that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't seem to
support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would
also be nice.

Alex Martelli

microsnot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use Mac
> OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't think
> that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't seem to
> support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would
> also be nice.

On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
ActiveState's Komodo tool...

Alex

bonono@gmail.com

I am an even worse dinosaur, I use ion3 and console vim.

Alex Martelli wrote:
> On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
> probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
> any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
> prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
> interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
> to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
> on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
> tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
> ActiveState's Komodo tool...
>

> Alex

Joe

SPE is great I suggest you take a look at it
http://www.stani.be/python/spe/

>> On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
>> probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
>> any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
>> prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
>> interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
>> to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
>> on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
>> tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
>> ActiveState's Komodo tool...
>>

>> Alex

kery

Alex Martelli wrote:
> microsnot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On the Mac, I think the XCode integration you get with PyObjC is
> probably best. I know there are plugins for Eclipse but haven't tried
> any personally, so it's hard to make suggestions (I'm a dinosaur, and I
> prefer to develop with GVim + a command-line tool, such as Python's own
> interactive mode...). I'm not sure if BlackAdder (simplest and fastest
> to learn) and WingIDE (probably THE one most powerful Python IDE) work
> on the Mac (shame on me, as a Python AND Mac enthusiast, for not having
> tried them...), but they're surely worth investigating. Ditto for
> ActiveState's Komodo tool...
>

> Alex

Any suggestions for Linux, specifically SuSE or perhaps Red Hat?

Thanks in advance,
Kery

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Eric3 http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

Eclipse http://www.eclipse.org/
+ pydev plugin http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

SPE http://pythonide.stani.be/

--
JZ

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Dnia Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:54:38 +1000, microsnot napisał(a):

> Eclipse don't seem to support Python out of the box.

It is very easy to add excelent python plugin
http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

Fast install: just go to the update manager (inside the help menu) and add
update site: http://pydev.sf.net/updates/ (eclipse should do the rest)

An alternative is just getting the zip file and extracting it yourself in
eclipse. If you choose to do it, just make sure the plugins folder is
extracted on top of the eclipse plugins folder.

--
JZ

Gian Mario Tagliaretti

microsnot wrote:

> I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use? I use
> Mac OS X 10.4.2. I have PythonIDE which comes with MacPython but I don't
> think that has even rudimentary "intellisense". Xcode and Eclipse don't
> seem to support Python out of the box. Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse
> would also be nice.

I use wingIDE and as Alex said before is the best python IDE ever...

cheers
--
Gian Mario Tagliaretti
PyGTK GUI programming

SPE - Stani's Python Editor

Mac users of SPE collected money for me to buy a Mac. This means that
in the near future SPE will be especially improved for Mac. So feedback
from Mac users is more than welcome and will probably be taken into
account. SPE is a free, open source IDE with a lot of features like a
debugger, UML diagrams and a GUI designer.

Stani
--
http://pythonide.stani.be
http://pythonide.stani.be/manual/html/manual.html

Wolfgang Keller

> I'm new to Python but am wondering what IDE Python developers use?
> I use Mac OS X 10.4.2.

Just look in the archives of the Pythonmac mailinglist. We have
discussed this very subject intensively recently, with a pretty
extensive review of the different IDEs available.

I'll get a copy of WingIDE as soon as I get my new PowerMac.

> Suggestions for plugins for Eclipse would also be nice.

Err, Eclipse (imho) is a H-O-G.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

IDE recommendation? phaedrus C Programming 11 11-13-2009 05:17 PM
IDE Recommendation ppcguy Java 17 06-05-2008 08:17 AM
Need Recommendation on a USB to IDE Adapter Edge Computer Information 1 09-22-2006 12:26 AM
IDE Recommendation - revisited Ray Mitchell Java 1 11-18-2003 12:13 AM