Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Wireless density and performance test

Wireless density and performance test

z400d3

I am trying to understand what the diferance between this and a normal
site wireless survey is but I can find no referance to a density and
performance test on the net anywhere.

I think it refers to software .. maybe one of the Airmagnet products.

Any help appreciated !!

Drop the ZZZ to reply

Cheers ...

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
z400d3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am trying to understand what the diferance between this and a normal
:site wireless survey is but I can find no referance to a density and
erformance test on the net anywhere.

:I think it refers to software .. maybe one of the Airmagnet products.

When you are using Cisco's relatively new Wireless Lan Security
Architecture and if you have the Wireless Security Manager Engine (or
some name like that), then the Engine will use feedback from all the
conforming access points and wireless cards, in order to figure out how
best to -reduce- AP power outputs selectively so that you still get
coverage but that the AP's interfere with each other less.

A normal wireless site survey just tells you what the levels were right
when you did the test, and wouldn't give you much information about how
to set the power levels on the APs to get the best coverage. More signal
is not always better: sometimes you want to put out less signal
to reduce wireless noise.
--
Warhol's Law: every Usenet user is entitled to his or her very own
fifteen minutes of flame -- The Squoire