Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: pushing python to multiple windows machines

RE: pushing python to multiple windows machines

Tim Golden

[(E-Mail Removed)]

> I am working on a project that requires python to be installed on a

large
> number of windows servers and was wondering if anyone has found a

method
> to do this. I found the article from 2003, but nobody ever stated

that
> they have found an option for this.

I'm not quite clear whether you're asking this question from a Python
point-of-view (eg running Python from a shared drive) or from a Windows
point-of-view.

If the former then perhaps have a look at the Moveable Python project:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

I admittedly haven't tried it, but since it's designed to run off memory
sticks etc. I imagine running from a shared drive shouldn't be too
difficult.

There are (commercial) products such as LanDesk which facilitate the
latter, and in any case the Python installation doesn't do anything
especially perverse. If you did want to install on each machine,
perhaps you could get some advice from the Moveable Python people.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk

shkelley@gmail.com

hey tim -

Thanks for you input. I'm looking at it from the Windows perspective
of needing to push a python interpreter out to multiple machines. I'll
check out Moveable Python as you suggested.

thanks
-shawn

Larry Bates

Do you really need to install the interpreter or do you
want to install a Python application to a bunch of servers?
Using a combination of py2exe and InnoInstaller I push
applications (and services, and COM objects) to lots of
Windows servers just as normal setup.exe files which can
be distributed with lots of tools.

Larry Bates