Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: Beginning Python (Practical Python 2.0)

Reply
Thread Tools

ANN: Beginning Python (Practical Python 2.0)

 
 
Magnus Lie Hetland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2005
I guess it has actually been out for a while -- I just haven't
received my copies yet... Anyways: My book, "Beginning Python: From
Novice to Professional" (Apress, 2005) is now out. It is an expanded
and revised version of "Practical Python" (Apress, 2002). More
information can be found at

http://hetland.org/writing/beginning-python

Thanks,

- Magnus

--
Magnus Lie Hetland "Preparing to stand by."
http://hetland.org -- Microsoft Windows
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Lee Bieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2005
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:11:14 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Magnus
Lie Hetland) declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> I guess it has actually been out for a while -- I just haven't
> received my copies yet... Anyways: My book, "Beginning Python: From
> Novice to Professional" (Apress, 2005) is now out. It is an expanded
> and revised version of "Practical Python" (Apress, 2002). More


Must be printed on thinner paper... Both run around 600 pages, but
the older book is a third thicker... <G>
--
> ================================================== ============ <
> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
> (E-Mail Removed) | Bestiaria Support Staff <
> ================================================== ============ <
> Home Page: <http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/> <
> Overflow Page: <http://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/> <

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
UrsusMaximus@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2005
I found this book at my local Border's this week. It appears to be a
most excellent book. I own and have read Magnus' earlier book "Pactical
Python" (which was excellent) but this one is even better. The first
half of the book covers the language, and then the second half goes
into depth developing several practical applications. And of course now
the book is very up to date. While I obviously have not had time to
really study this book, I believe that anyone looking for an
introduction to Python would be very hard pressed to find a better
choice than this book.

Ron Stephens
Python411 podcast sereis
http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
Magnus Lie Hetland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dennis Lee
Bieber wrote:
[snip]
>
> Must be printed on thinner paper... Both run around 600 pages, but
> the older book is a third thicker... <G>


Heh. Yeah. The new book has more material, too (new chapters, among
other things), so I guess the new layout also has an effect.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland "Preparing to stand by."
http://hetland.org -- Microsoft Windows
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kent Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> I guess it has actually been out for a while -- I just haven't
> received my copies yet... Anyways: My book, "Beginning Python: From
> Novice to Professional" (Apress, 2005) is now out.


Apress is offering a $10 rebate if you purchase the book before October 30. See for example
http://www.bookpool.com/sm/159059519X

Kent
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jaime Wyant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
Also, if any of you guys aren't listening to Ron's Python411 podcast,
you're missing out on a quality podcast about Python. While not
necessarily `hardcore python' material, Ron does touch on various
things happening in the community along with discussion about nifty
python packages / modules that you may have missed.

Its one of my favorite podcasts. Great job Ron!

jw

On 20 Oct 2005 15:15:26 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I found this book at my local Border's this week. It appears to be a
> most excellent book. I own and have read Magnus' earlier book "Pactical
> Python" (which was excellent) but this one is even better. The first
> half of the book covers the language, and then the second half goes
> into depth developing several practical applications. And of course now
> the book is very up to date. While I obviously have not had time to
> really study this book, I believe that anyone looking for an
> introduction to Python would be very hard pressed to find a better
> choice than this book.
>
> Ron Stephens
> Python411 podcast sereis
> http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html
>
> --
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Lee Bieber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:54:43 -0400, Kent Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

> Apress is offering a $10 rebate if you purchase the book before October 30. See for example
> http://www.bookpool.com/sm/159059519X
>

Well, the fine print does have a problem... Those of us who didn't
buy it from that web-site don't qualify...
--
> ================================================== ============ <
> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
> (E-Mail Removed) | Bestiaria Support Staff <
> ================================================== ============ <
> Home Page: <http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/> <
> Overflow Page: <http://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/> <

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
index of string from beginning of line vs beginning of file Jesse B. Ruby 9 03-27-2010 04:04 PM
Beginning Python abhiee Python 4 06-07-2007 10:26 AM
Very good Python Book. Free download : Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional Kriv Python 8 05-30-2006 05:01 PM
books: Dive into Python vs Beginning Python Franz Mueller Python 6 11-29-2005 07:40 AM
Lie Hetland book: Beginning Python.. Vittorio Python 8 11-11-2005 05:15 PM



Advertisments