Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [wxPython-users] Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

[wxPython-users] Web based applications are possible with wxPython?

Ruben Charles

Hi,

I am reading some essays --http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html "Beating
the averages"-- and i am very interested in the web-based
applications.

I want to take the advantages having the application on a server. Is
easy to update, maintain, etc...

My questions is

Can i have a wxPython GUI app available on a web browser?

I founded some doc on the www but the most refers to GUI wrote in
java script and tool kits relates with java. Some java script samples
are interesting but is not what i am looking for.

There is a way for having wxpython frames, dialogs etc on a web browser?

If not, can you suggest me any kind oh method for have something similar?

Thanks.

Grant Edwards

On 2005-10-18, Ruben Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can i have a wxPython GUI app available on a web browser?

I don't believe so. I think it would be icnredibly difficult
to map a web API into wxWidgets API.

> If not, can you suggest me any kind oh method for have something similar?

I haven't tried it, but this looks sort of cool:

http://trac.nunatak.com.au/projects/nufox

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! HELLO, little boys!
at Gimme a MINT TULIP!! Let's

Brett Hoerner

I don't think this is possible, unless I am grossly misunderstanding.

For the web, pretty much every "UI" is build with some variation of
HTML (XHTML is the new standard) with JavaScript thrown in for fancy
GUI-like interfaces.

You can't use OS-native widgets in the web browser, no.

Eli Criffield

http://www.nomachine.com/companion_screenshots.php

While not exacly what your talking about, its about as close as i can
think of. This allows you to run any X applications inside a web
browser.

Eli

Alex Stapleton

Looks shockingly like yet another Java VNC client to me.

On 18 Oct 2005, at 21:16, Eli Criffield wrote:

> http://www.nomachine.com/companion_screenshots.php
>
> While not exacly what your talking about, its about as close as i can
> think of. This allows you to run any X applications inside a web
> browser.
>
> Eli

Eli Criffield

not quite but close, NX is a compression protical for the X protical,
so its a lot more like a java X client then a java VNC client.

Eli

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=

HI!

Shameless plug:
I'm looking for the opposite way. I'd like to run a web application
within a pseudo-browser in wxPython without the need to start a web
server. Is that possible with a thin wrapper?

Ciao, Michael.