Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Looking for a Python mentor

Looking for a Python mentor

LenS

Hello

Was wandering if there is any place where some one could go to get
mentoring on python coding. I have started coding in python but I am
the only one in the shop using it. So there is no one around to look
over my code give suggestions on improvement, in style, logic, easier
ways of doing things etc. I am not really looking for hand holding as
much mentoring. I have purchased about every python book out and have
a list a mile long on my internet bookmarks. I believe I have a good
grasp of the fundamentals procedurally and I am fighting my way through
OOP. I am more at the stage of trying to pull things together into
programs that perform real world tasks. At one point I thought I saw
some place on one of the web site that did this kind of thing but I
can't find it now.

Any help or suggestions welcomed
Len Sumnler

gene tani

is this it

LenS wrote:
> Hello
>
> Was wandering if there is any place where some one could go to get
> mentoring on python coding. I have started coding in python but I am
> the only one in the shop using it. So there is no one around to look
> over my code give suggestions on improvement, in style, logic, easier
> ways of doing things etc. I am not really looking for hand holding as
> much mentoring. I have purchased about every python book out and have
> a list a mile long on my internet bookmarks. I believe I have a good
> grasp of the fundamentals procedurally and I am fighting my way through
> OOP. I am more at the stage of trying to pull things together into
> programs that perform real world tasks. At one point I thought I saw
> some place on one of the web site that did this kind of thing but I
> can't find it now.
>
> Any help or suggestions welcomed
> Len Sumnler

Rob Cowie

I'll gladly give you a hand. I should point out - I'm no expert. I
think I've reached a point a bit beyond yours; I learnt OO programming
principles with java and have spent this last Summer learning python. I
have a good grasp of it.

If you want to get in touch, email rob_cowie AT mac DOT com

Nir Aides

Hello Len,

You should try the #python IRC room.
It is always very active and helpful.

Nir

LenS wrote:
> Hello
>
> Was wandering if there is any place where some one could go to get
> mentoring on python coding. I have started coding in python but I am
> the only one in the shop using it. So there is no one around to look
> over my code give suggestions on improvement, in style, logic, easier
> ways of doing things etc. I am not really looking for hand holding as
> much mentoring. I have purchased about every python book out and have
> a list a mile long on my internet bookmarks. I believe I have a good
> grasp of the fundamentals procedurally and I am fighting my way through
> OOP. I am more at the stage of trying to pull things together into
> programs that perform real world tasks. At one point I thought I saw
> some place on one of the web site that did this kind of thing but I
> can't find it now.
>
> Any help or suggestions welcomed
> Len Sumnler

Kent Johnson

LenS wrote:
> Hello
>
> Was wandering if there is any place where some one could go to get
> mentoring on python coding. I have started coding in python but I am
> the only one in the shop using it. So there is no one around to look
> over my code give suggestions on improvement, in style, logic, easier
> ways of doing things etc.

I second gene's recommendation of the python-tutor mailing list - we do all of the above as well as cheerfully answer all questions, give suggestions on how to do things, etc.

Kent

billie

"Nir Aides" wrote
> Hello Len,
>
> You should try the #python IRC room.
> It is always very active and helpful.
>
> Nir

Do you mean efnet #Python chan?
It's not too much active...

Christoph Haas

On Friday 14 October 2005 21:35, billie wrote:
> "Nir Aides" wrote
>
> > Hello Len,
> >
> > You should try the #python IRC room.
> > It is always very active and helpful.
> >
> > Nir

> Do you mean efnet #Python chan?
> It's not too much active...

I believe he meant irc.freenode.net

Christoph
--
~
~

New in Python , Need a Mentor NewbiePythonic Python 5 01-05-2013 11:33 AM
Looking For A Linux Mentor Msgr Scooter NZ Computing 3 06-06-2011 11:06 PM
[MENTOR] Looking for FX mentorship Robert Dober Ruby 1 03-10-2007 04:06 PM
looking for a mentor Thats Me XML 3 12-21-2005 12:30 AM
I Need a Python Mentor abhay Python 3 11-28-2004 12:43 AM

Advertisments