Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python server?

python server?

Francesco Marchetti-Stasi

Hello everybody,

I am the happy yet unsatisfied owner of an ipaq 3760. I am writing a
python+pygtk editor optimized for an handheld, and in the future I'd
like to write more applications (to-do-list and agenda are on top of
my priorities, since the existing ones don't fit my needs).

I was now thinking of a way to improve memory usage. Any python
application I launch takes 9-10 MB, and this risks to be a major
blocking factor, since the memory I have is only 64 MB.

So I'd like to share the memory between programs, sort of an
emacs-server mode. I have a vague idea of the way to implement this,
with a python-server.py script which would take over programs from a
launcher.py script, or maybe a single script which would run into the
background, the first time it is launched, and feed the programs to an
already running copy, when finding an already running instance. Since
I am mainly interested to GUI applications, the resulting threads
should cohexist nicely.

I was wondering if something similar already existed, to use as-is or
to adapt to my needs.
I did a little googling, which pointed me to interesting, but rather
different projects. Has anybody ever seen or heard something of this
kind? Or maybe there is something almost-ready in the amazing python
library (as you understand, I am rather new to python), and I missed
it?

Thanks,
Francesco.

Diez B. Roggisch

> I was wondering if something similar already existed, to use as-is or
> to adapt to my needs.
> I did a little googling, which pointed me to interesting, but rather
> different projects. Has anybody ever seen or heard something of this
> kind? Or maybe there is something almost-ready in the amazing python
> library (as you understand, I am rather new to python), and I missed
> it?

Mabybe pyro helps you - it'S pure python, and makes working with remote
objects pretty transparent.

Diez