Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Intervlan routing with a managed router

Intervlan routing with a managed router

xlr8

At present I work for a company that has a WAN that comprises of
Managed routers. Each office has a Cisco router that is managed by a
large Telecomunications provider.

I've finally managed to get the company to start implementing VLANs.
Now normally I would just jump into the router and create a
sub-interfaces for each VLAN and run dot1q trunking however since I
can't gain access to the managed router I would have to submit a
request for each vlan change.....painful.

So my question is, with the topology below is there a way I can
implement VLANs without needing to go through the service provider all
the time.

Users -> CoreSwitch -> WAN Router -> Firewall
Server->

All systems have the WAN Router as the default gateway, it's default
gatway is the firewall.

My initial thoughts were to make the CoreSwitch (4510R) the default
gateway and do the InterVLAN routing inside the switch and publish the
routes to the WAN Router and via RIPv2.

Is this a good idea and would it enable the all office to the relevant
VLANs, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in adavance.

Russell Lusignan

Your idea of using the switch to route between vlans is probably the
best way to do it since you don't manage the WAN router.
RIPv2/eigrp/ospf will suffice for advertising the routes between your
switch and the managed router. This is assuming that the telco will
allow you to use a routing protocol, I can't see why they wouldn't.

-Russ
CCIE #9473 (Security/R&S), CISSP

intervlan routing and policy routing C3750 or C 4948 Sied@r Cisco 3 10-20-2005 08:42 PM
which router for InterVLAN routing ? mitchell.hagerty@gmail.com Cisco 2 08-17-2005 02:47 PM
Intervlan routing Bill Cisco 2 03-04-2004 08:20 AM
Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL Trunking on 2621 Router Peter Cisco 2 01-06-2004 07:24 PM
Problem in InterVLAN Routing Mamun Shaheed Cisco 2 12-01-2003 05:30 PM

Advertisments