Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > play audio on OSX?

play audio on OSX?

Nick Parker

I'm attempting to play an mp3 file on OSX, but am running into some
difficulty. When using py-mad and py-ao, I only get static with the
following code (which is derived off another mailing that I found from
this list's archives):

#!/usr/bin/env python

'''Requires:
py-mad (mp3 ability)
py-ao (system audio ability)
'''
import mad, ao, sys
mf = mad.MadFile(sys.argv[1])
dev = ao.AudioDevice('macosx')#osx device, linux: use "oss" or "alsa"
while 1:
buf = mf.read()
if buf is None:
break
dev.play(buf, len(buf))

Does anyone know why this produces static, or whether there's a better
method of producing audio output that's also cross-platform (OSX,
linux)? I've looked at pymedia, but they do not support OSX at the moment.

Thanks!