Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Struggling with basics

Re: Struggling with basics

Jason

Rather than reply to those individuals, just a big "thanks" to those
that have helped.

It's definitely making sense, the fact that I need to show the
two-element tuple to show correctly was one of those head-slapping moments.

And Dennis Lee Bieber hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that
I'd declared the initial scores as strings, yet I was comparing them
against integers. I simply removed the single-quotes from the scores
and everything slotted into place.

Again, I now have the list working, apart from the list is reversed (as
per Dennis Lee Bieber mentioned). I'm afraid I don't understand what
you mean about the DIFF report but I'll investigate further and learn a
bit more.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Jason wrote:
> Rather than reply to those individuals, just a big "thanks" to those
> that have helped.
>
> It's definitely making sense, the fact that I need to show the
> two-element tuple to show correctly was one of those head-slapping moments.
>
> And Dennis Lee Bieber hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that
> I'd declared the initial scores as strings, yet I was comparing them
> against integers. I simply removed the single-quotes from the scores
> and everything slotted into place.
>
> Again, I now have the list working, apart from the list is reversed (as
> per Dennis Lee Bieber mentioned). I'm afraid I don't understand what
> you mean about the DIFF report but I'll investigate further and learn a
> bit more.

Please bear in mind: If you just remove the quotes from '00050', you will get
a value of 40. This is because integer literals with leading zeroes are inter-
preted as octal.

Reinhold

Jason

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>> Rather than reply to those individuals, just a big "thanks" to those
>> that have helped.
>>
>> It's definitely making sense, the fact that I need to show the
>> two-element tuple to show correctly was one of those head-slapping moments.
>>
>> And Dennis Lee Bieber hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that
>> I'd declared the initial scores as strings, yet I was comparing them
>> against integers. I simply removed the single-quotes from the scores
>> and everything slotted into place.
>>
>> Again, I now have the list working, apart from the list is reversed (as
>> per Dennis Lee Bieber mentioned). I'm afraid I don't understand what
>> you mean about the DIFF report but I'll investigate further and learn a
>> bit more.

> Please bear in mind: If you just remove the quotes from '00050', you will get
> a value of 40. This is because integer literals with leading zeroes are inter-
> preted as octal.
>
> Reinhold

Doh!

Just found that out! lol.

OK I'm going to read a bit more in the manual now; I'm determined to
crack this nut by the morning.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:16:05 +0100, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)>

> you mean about the DIFF report but I'll investigate further and learn a
> bit more.

DIFF is a common utility on many systems (though it took me a while
to find one I could use on my home system... (I need to check deeper
into if the VS2005 beta, or what ever, includes WinDiff -- I finally
tricked the NetBeans system into running its Diff on Python files).

Diff compares (in simple cases) two files line by line, and
generates a report of where the files are different. Note: it has to
make multiple passes because adding and deleting lines means a lot is
still the same, but they aren't the same "line number".

I ran diff on your source (as copied from the message) against my
source (a copy of yours with my edits in place). Then supplied the
report. Essentially, a type of patch program (assuming your actual file
matched what I pulled from the message, though I doubt that) could
process the report automatically, converting your file into mine by
removing lines with < in front of them, inserting lines with >...

Struggling with basics Jason Python 8 09-26-2005 01:22 AM
Struggling with Wireless network. =?Utf-8?B?T0MxMQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 06-09-2005 07:15 PM
struggling at starting blocks getting workgroup recognised =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgQg==?= Wireless Networking 2 02-13-2005 10:33 PM
Struggling With Concept One Handed Man \( OHM#\) ASP .Net 1 06-12-2004 02:07 PM
enableSessionState - still struggling Martin ASP .Net 6 12-29-2003 03:30 PM

Advertisments