Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Small python24.dll / how to strip off asian codecs to separate package(s) ?

Small python24.dll / how to strip off asian codecs to separate package(s) ?

Robert

updating a py2exe'd software I was impressed by python24.dll's footprint -
double size of python23.dll

Is there a version without/separate asianc codecs (which seem to mainly blow
up python24.dll)? Or how to build one?

Robert

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Robert wrote:
> Or how to build one?

Just download the source, and follow the instructions in
PCBuild/readme.txt. Then, edit the pythoncore project to remove
the files you don't want to include, and edit config.c to remove
the dangling references.

Regards,
Martin

Robert

thanks, I go for that.

Wouldn't it be an issue to think about if future win-python distributions
should keep on including the asian codecs in the main-dll?
See some reason in including smaller functional pyd's lik zip or even ssl,
etc. (as they are used regularly in projects >30%) - but asian codecs?

Robert

news:43343184$0$15071$(E-Mail Removed)...

Robert wrote:
> Wouldn't it be an issue to think about if future win-python distributions
> should keep on including the asian codecs in the main-dll?

Indeed, it would. As I said before: if somebody defines a clear, fair
policy which finds agreement in the community, I'm willing to change the
current policy on what goes into python24.dll, and what is built
separately. Bonus points if the policy is accompanied with a patch.
The policy should not be static, i.e. it should also give a guideline
for modules introduced in the future.

At the moment, the policy is this: "everything that does not depend on
an external library should go into pythonXY.dll". As a result of this
policy, everybody downloading the sources should be able to build
Python as long as you have the right version of Visual Studio.

The reason for this particular policy is that it simplifies maintenance
if there are only few external .pyd files in the standard distribution.

Regards,
Martin