Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ntp from ntp.org

ntp from ntp.org

Scott Crabb

I have loaded the Windows 2000 ntp server software port of the Unix
code from NTP.org onto a server and I'm having trouble getting Cisco
devices to accept time. On the Cisco device it will say that time is
synchronized, however, the time shown is not the same time that is on
the NTP server. Should I allow a certain amount of time to elapse for
synchronization to occur or am I just missing something here? I have
both Netware and other NT boxes getting time from this source. I
don't think it should be this difficult.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Scott Crabb

Bob Goddard

Scott Crabb wrote:

> I have loaded the Windows 2000 ntp server software port of the Unix
> code from NTP.org onto a server and I'm having trouble getting Cisco
> devices to accept time. On the Cisco device it will say that time is
> synchronized, however, the time shown is not the same time that is on
> the NTP server. Should I allow a certain amount of time to elapse for
> synchronization to occur or am I just missing something here? I have
> both Netware and other NT boxes getting time from this source. I
> don't think it should be this difficult.

Have you accounted for the time difference from GMT/UTC?

none

What NTP statements do you have in your router?

Here's a sample from mine for Eastern US...

clock timezone EST -5
clock summer-time EDT recurring
ntp clock-period 17179830
ntp server x.x.x.x

"Scott Crabb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I have loaded the Windows 2000 ntp server software port of the Unix
> code from NTP.org onto a server and I'm having trouble getting Cisco
> devices to accept time. On the Cisco device it will say that time is
> synchronized, however, the time shown is not the same time that is on
> the NTP server. Should I allow a certain amount of time to elapse for
> synchronization to occur or am I just missing something here? I have
> both Netware and other NT boxes getting time from this source. I
> don't think it should be this difficult.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Crabb

Cletus Van Damme

Note that you do NOT set the "ntp clock-period" value. IOS automagically
inserts the correct value for your particular platform into the config. If
I'm not mistaken, setting this value manually can lead to problems with NTP
staying in synch.

Cletus

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fWyQc.2665$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What NTP statements do you have in your router?
>
> Here's a sample from mine for Eastern US...
>
> clock timezone EST -5
> clock summer-time EDT recurring
> ntp clock-period 17179830
> ntp server x.x.x.x
>

> "Scott Crabb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I have loaded the Windows 2000 ntp server software port of the Unix
> > code from NTP.org onto a server and I'm having trouble getting Cisco
> > devices to accept time. On the Cisco device it will say that time is
> > synchronized, however, the time shown is not the same time that is on
> > the NTP server. Should I allow a certain amount of time to elapse for
> > synchronization to occur or am I just missing something here? I have
> > both Netware and other NT boxes getting time from this source. I
> > don't think it should be this difficult.
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott Crabb

Dave Katz

"Cletus Van Damme" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Note that you do NOT set the "ntp clock-period" value. IOS automagically
> inserts the correct value for your particular platform into the config. If
> I'm not mistaken, setting this value manually can lead to problems with NTP
> staying in synch.

This is true.

none

True - Cisco says...

"The ntp clock-period command is added automatically to jump-start the NTP
frequency compensation when the box is rebooted. (Do not configure this
command manually.) This is essentially a representation of the frequency of
the crystal used as the local timebase, and may take several days to
calculate otherwise. Do a write mem after a week or so to save a good
value."

"Dave Katz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Cletus Van Damme" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Note that you do NOT set the "ntp clock-period" value. IOS

automagically
> > inserts the correct value for your particular platform into the config.

If
> > I'm not mistaken, setting this value manually can lead to problems with

NTP
> > staying in synch.

> This is true.

Convert to NTP Timestamp Manzoorul Hassan Perl 1 03-11-2005 05:37 PM
Cisco Router as a NTP Server Jim Williams Cisco 3 12-18-2003 08:19 AM
NTP on a 804 chuck Cisco 2 11-13-2003 01:44 AM
NTP on DDR Groper Cisco 6 10-24-2003 02:18 PM
2610 refusing NTP service Ross Vandegrift Cisco 0 07-16-2003 09:45 PM

Advertisments