Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Usernames and Passwords on 1700 and 2600 series

Usernames and Passwords on 1700 and 2600 series

Northern Lights

I'm relatively inexperienced at router configs, so I have a simple question
on usernames and passwords on 1700 and 2600 series routers.

When logging in to the routers on my WAN, some routers prompt for a username
and password, other routers prompt for just a password. I would like to
make a consistant login where the router will prompt for a username and
password. I have already specified the username and 'privilege' level
password in the config., I just need to know how to make the router prompt
for the username.

Thank you.

-Phil

Neil

Under the vty, console lines etc, type "login local"

"Northern Lights" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssNPc.159$a%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm relatively inexperienced at router configs, so I have a simple

question
> on usernames and passwords on 1700 and 2600 series routers.
>
> When logging in to the routers on my WAN, some routers prompt for a

username
> and password, other routers prompt for just a password. I would like to
> make a consistant login where the router will prompt for a username and
> password. I have already specified the username and 'privilege' level
> password in the config., I just need to know how to make the router prompt
> for the username.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Phil

mh

Try

aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default local
aaa authorization exec default local

AnyBody43

"Northern Lights" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm relatively inexperienced at router configs, so I have a simple question
> on usernames and passwords on 1700 and 2600 series routers.
>
> When logging in to the routers on my WAN, some routers prompt for a username
> and password, other routers prompt for just a password. I would like to
> make a consistant login where the router will prompt for a username and
> password. I have already specified the username and 'privilege' level
> password in the config., I just need to know how to make the router prompt
> for the username.

Hi,

I think that the key thing that you need are:-

username SomeName privilege 15 password SomePassword
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default local
line vty 0 4
privilege level 15 ! hmmm
transport input telnet ssh

What you get with this is that when you login you get to the
"enabled" state. Probably not good practice but maybe you
can work it out from here.

I was expecting to see:-
line vty 0 4
login local