Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > sub interfaces and vlans

sub interfaces and vlans

PES

"slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SPbPc.290$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hiya all.
>
> I`m trying to configure sub interfaces on my router but it doesn't seem to
> want to know. I think I know what the problem is but would like to know if

> am right or not.
>
> can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports? I have tried

this
> on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
> allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.
>
> The ICND book I am working from shows the interface as fastethernet but

the
> ones on both of my routers are normal Ethernet and not fastethernet
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gordon

Some 10mb ethernet interfaces do provide support for 802.1q. I do not think
the 2503 supports this. However I do believe that the 2610 with a > 12.2T
IP Plus IOS will support this. You will need to change the encapsulation to
802.1q to allow you to create and use sub interfaces.

Steinar Haug

["slipstream_242"]

| can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports?

No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q subinterfaces
on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
either.

| I have tried this
| on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
| allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.

Yes, it means you need "encapsulation dot1q <vlan-id>" before you can
configure IP routing on the subinterface.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

slipstream_242

Hiya all.

I`m trying to configure sub interfaces on my router but it doesn't seem to
want to know. I think I know what the problem is but would like to know if I
am right or not.

can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports? I have tried this
on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.

The ICND book I am working from shows the interface as fastethernet but the
ones on both of my routers are normal Ethernet and not fastethernet

Any help would be appreciated.

Gordon

Hansang Bae

> No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q subinterfaces
> on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
> either.

2610's can do it just fine.

hsb

Doug McIntyre

"slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
>12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

IIRC, you need a + image, as well as being new enough. I think you
probably need a T train image in the 12.2 line for it.

--
Doug McIntyre (E-Mail Removed)
Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

slipstream_242

there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

"Hansang Bae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q

subinterfaces
> > on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
> > either.

> 2610's can do it just fine.
>

> hsb
>
> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
> ************************************************** ******************
> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
> ************************************************** ******************

Les Mikesell

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:410e7797$0$8088$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
> >12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

> IIRC, you need a + image, as well as being new enough. I think you
> probably need a T train image in the 12.2 line for it.

I thought you needed a 100M interface, but perhaps this is IOS dependent.

---
Les Mikesell
(E-Mail Removed)

PES

> I thought you needed a 100M interface, but perhaps this is IOS dependent.

Some 10mb int can support it.