Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Crafting IP packets with DNS queries .........newbie

Crafting IP packets with DNS queries .........newbie

laksh

hi all

im looking for some code that can capture the IP packets from my system
and craft them so that im able to put lots of DNS requests in them and
send them to the server.....

is it possible and will the DNS server takes it for legal DNS request
packets?? and should i need to incorporate some code at the server end
to decode the packets from my machine and encode the results from the
DNS??

is all this possible ?

first of all i want to know to craft some IP packets in python with
loads of DNS queries in them..............

regards
laksh

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 20 Jul 2005 07:43:28 -0700, "laksh" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> hi all
>
> im looking for some code that can capture the IP packets from my system

That's pretty low-level -- near the bottom of the network stack,
just above the hardware driver. Most user-level code is three or more
levels higher -- look at any textbook on network protocol stacks.

> and craft them so that im able to put lots of DNS requests in them and
> send them to the server.....

Sounds like some scheme for a DoS attack on a server...

> is it possible and will the DNS server takes it for legal DNS request
> packets?? and should i need to incorporate some code at the server end

A "legal DNS request" would be one that meets the specifications
of the relevant RFC. Read some of: http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/rfc/