Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to kill easygui dialog?

How to kill easygui dialog?

utabintarbo@gmail.com

I am using an easygui(http://www.ferg.org/easygui/index.html) dialog
(enterbox) to retrieve some info from a user. The program then goes on
and does a bit of processing, sometimes for several minutes. In the
meantime, the dialog stays there, dead but visible. I would prefer that
either another dialog ("Processing....") would be shown while
background stuff happens, or that the current dialog would simply
disappear. Ideas?

TIA,
Bob

William Park

> I am using an easygui(http://www.ferg.org/easygui/index.html) dialog
> (enterbox) to retrieve some info from a user. The program then goes on
> and does a bit of processing, sometimes for several minutes. In the
> meantime, the dialog stays there, dead but visible. I would prefer that
> either another dialog ("Processing....") would be shown while
> background stuff happens, or that the current dialog would simply
> disappear. Ideas?

I know I'm going to get flamed for this... but, perhaps,
http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/index.html#gtk
would side-step the problem altogether.

Essentially, you describe your layout in XML syntax, feed it through
Bash shell, and it will display GTK+2 widgets. When user clicks or
types, data will be stored in shell variable or specified shell command
will be executed. That's all.

In order to call it from Python, you'd have to use os.system(), and
store the shell variable to file or print it out to stdout. Then, you
can read it back from Python. In fact, you can feed the input data
directly from Python to shell.

--
William Park <(E-Mail Removed)>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell

utabintarbo@gmail.com

William,

Thanks for the reply. No flames, but I am running on both Linux and
Windows, so I need a x-platform solution. I thought I had it with
easygui...

Must try some other ideas....

Martin Franklin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> William,
>
> Thanks for the reply. No flames, but I am running on both Linux and
> Windows, so I need a x-platform solution. I thought I had it with
> easygui...
>
> Must try some other ideas....

Can you post an example... the following works for me...

>>> import easygui
>>> while 1:

.... rv = easygui.enterbox()
.... if rv: