Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SNMP configuration help for newbie

SNMP configuration help for newbie

Nic

I have a cisco 2621 that currently is not snmp enabled. I would like
to monitor the bandwidth utilization of our t1 circuit. I have
downloaded the Solarwinds product to try this out with.

I have sen alot of info on configuring snmp on cisco routers but its
diffacult to digest. How do I configure the traps to just monitor
bandwidth and not turn on everything? I have also seen some reference
to MIBs but again nothing definitive. I am not interested in using
snmp for much else at this point.

I do not need to do any config or tftp via the snmp so do I only need
a ro community? This is an internet circuit and I want it to be as
secure as possible.

Thanks,
Nic

Scooby

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I have a cisco 2621 that currently is not snmp enabled. I would like
> to monitor the bandwidth utilization of our t1 circuit. I have
> downloaded the Solarwinds product to try this out with.
>
> I have sen alot of info on configuring snmp on cisco routers but its
> diffacult to digest. How do I configure the traps to just monitor
> bandwidth and not turn on everything? I have also seen some reference
> to MIBs but again nothing definitive. I am not interested in using
> snmp for much else at this point.
>
> I do not need to do any config or tftp via the snmp so do I only need
> a ro community? This is an internet circuit and I want it to be as
> secure as possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Nic

Nic,

You don't really need to enable traps. Traps are similar to syslog - when a
particular event happens, a trap is triggered and an snmp message is sent to
your trip server. If you are monitoring bandwidth, then you are just using
SNMP get requests. Use the following syntax:

snmp server community <roname> ro
snmp server community <rwname> rw

where <roname> and <rwname> are your read only and read/write community
names. That is all you should need for simple snmp access. You are correct
that bandwidth monitoring should just need RO access.

Hope that helps,

Jim

SNMP TrapD configuration zaxx Software 0 09-22-2006 08:13 AM
SNMP module to query net-snmp milaus Perl Misc 3 08-31-2006 03:31 PM
SNMP configuration of Aironet1200 (ios based) ian Cisco 0 12-19-2004 12:53 AM
Save configuration by using SNMP ns Cisco 6 10-04-2004 06:42 PM
SNMP - Cisco - SNMP news.easynews.com Cisco 0 03-04-2004 10:44 PM

Advertisments