Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: inheriting file object

Re: inheriting file object

Jeremy

harold fellermann wrote:
>>I don't know if I should be inheriting file or just using a file
>>object.
>> How would I determine which one would be more appropriate?

> Inheritance is often refered to as an IS relation, whereas using an
> attribute
> is a HAS relation.
>
> If you inherit from file, all operations for files should be valif for
> your
> class also. Usually the file-operations would be directly inherited and
> not
> overwritten.
>
> However, if you don't want to expose all file functionalities, a HAS
> relation
> is more appropriate. if you plan to use your class as a file handle,
> e.g. for
> formatting output in a special way, I woould prefer to make the file an
> attribute:

> If you would tell as your use case, it would be easier to give you an
> advice.

That is an excellent explanation and the example is similar to what I
want to do. I have a file I want to look through and change if needed.
I think I will follow you suggestion and not inherit from the file object.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Inheriting from Python list object(type?) Mangabasi Python 3 05-24-2007 09:05 AM
Inheriting str object kungfoobar@gmail.com Python 5 02-06-2007 11:25 AM
inheriting type or object? Fabiano Sidler Python 1 04-27-2006 10:09 PM
inheriting file object Jeremy Python 0 07-06-2005 04:58 PM
Inheriting from object Fuzzyman Python 16 07-03-2005 06:53 PM

Advertisments