Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > self provisioning feature of cable modems

self provisioning feature of cable modems

RT

I am curious to know how the self provisioning feature of cable modems
is architected in hotels. By this I mean, when I check in to my room,
hook up my laptop, and open a browser, I get redirected to page
describing the hotel's connecitivity policy.

What happens behind the scenes? Assuming the hotel is using a CMTS
box, DHCP server, and a router connected to a T1 link, how is my http
traffic getting redirected to a page that I never requested in the
first place.

Any networking gurus out there who understand what happens
under-the-hood?

RT

Phillip Remaker

It varies. Usually, though, the hotels are just handing out an RFC1918
address and intercepting web traffic through a proxy like the Cisco BBSM
(Building Broadband Service Manager), which authenticates the PC (usually by
mac address) and then punches a hole through the proxy to allow you use the
service.

Peter Peters

On 27 Jul 2004 15:24:04 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (RT) wrote:

>I am curious to know how the self provisioning feature of cable modems
>is architected in hotels. By this I mean, when I check in to my room,
>hook up my laptop, and open a browser, I get redirected to page
>describing the hotel's connecitivity policy.
>
>What happens behind the scenes? Assuming the hotel is using a CMTS
>box, DHCP server, and a router connected to a T1 link, how is my http
>traffic getting redirected to a page that I never requested in the
>first place.

We are doing appr. the same thing with infected hosts that are put in
quarantaine. We give out an IP address that is routed to a server that
accepts every URL and answers with the "same" page. Routing is based on
source IP addresses through Cisco's policy based routing facilities.

But I know of a hotel that routes /30's to each room. Eacht room is in
it's own VLAN so the router can do anything with the traffic that comes
from or goes to that VLAN. And because of the routing the people in the
room can't use any other address than provided.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)