Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

muldoon

Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
"American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

Be blunt. We Americans need to know. Should we try to change the way we
speak? Are there certain words that sound particularly goofy? Please
help us with your advice on this awkward matter.

BJ in Texas

muldoon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|| Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of
|| sophistication and high intelligence. Many companies hire
|| salespersons from Britain to represent their products,etc.
|| Question: When the British hear an "American accent," does it
|| sound unsophisticated and dumb?
|| Be blunt. We Americans need to know. Should we try to change
|| the way we speak? Are there certain words that sound
|| particularly goofy? Please help us with your advice on this
|| awkward matter.

Which of the British accents?

BJ

Grant Edwards

On 2005-06-28, muldoon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
> and high intelligence.

That depends on the accent. I believe that's probably true for
the educated south of England, BBC, received pronunciation. I
don't think that's true for some of the other dialects from
northern areas (e.g. Liverpool) or the "cockney" accent.

> Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to represent
> their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
> "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

I too have always wondered about this.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Mr and Mrs PED, can
at I borrow 26.7

Michael Hoffman

muldoon wrote:
> Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
> and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
> represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
> "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?
>
> Be blunt. We Americans need to know.

To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python. Surely
selecting the right forum to use indicates more sophistication and high
intelligence than the way one speaks.
--
Michael Hoffman

Grant Edwards

On 2005-06-28, Michael Hoffman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> muldoon wrote:
>> Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
>> and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
>> represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
>> "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?
>>
>> Be blunt. We Americans need to know.

> To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python.

Monty Python was mostly Brits?

> Surely selecting the right forum to use indicates more
> sophistication and high intelligence than the way one speaks.

Well, there is that...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello... IRON
at CURTAIN? Send over a

Jarek Zgoda

Grant Edwards napisał(a):

>>To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python.

> Monty Python was mostly Brits?

Wasn't they all Brits?

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/

Devan L

Thats like posting about Google here because the newsgroup is hosted on
Google.

muldoon

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> muldoon wrote:
> > Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
> > and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
> > represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
> > "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?
> >
> > Be blunt. We Americans need to know.

> To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python. Surely
> selecting the right forum to use indicates more sophistication and high
> intelligence than the way one speaks.
> --
> Michael Hoffman

This is from California, not far from where they did the old atomic
bomb tests. Be tolerant. Mutation you know.

Now, what forum would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Grant Edwards

On 2005-06-28, Jarek Zgoda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Grant Edwards napisał(a):
>
>>>To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python.

>> Monty Python was mostly Brits?

> Wasn't they all Brits?

Nope. Terry Gilliam was from Minneapolis.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! RELAX!!... This
at is gonna be a HEALING

Robert Kern

muldoon wrote:

> Now, what forum would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Not here. Beyond that, you're on your own.

--
Robert Kern

-- Richard Harter