Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Database recommendations for Windows app

Database recommendations for Windows app

Dan

On 6/22/2005 3:08 PM, Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <3tiue.27$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Maybe the point is the downside of depending on installed DLLs rather than
>>>shipping your own.
>>>
>>>Dave Cook

>>Yes, DLL hell.

> ?
>
> OK, I'm with you part of the way. Typical "Access" developers
> are *always* involved with DLL hell, right? You're surely not
> saying that Python worsens that frustration, are you?

No.

Dan

On 6/22/2005 9:51 PM, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Will McGugan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with sqllite for now.

> Your list didn't mention a few things that might be critical.
> Referential integrity? Type checking? SQLite currently supports
> neither. Just make sure you check the list of supported features to see
> that it really does what you need.
>
> -Peter

So in SQLLite, what happens of you try to store XYZ in an integer field?

Peter Hansen

Dan wrote:
> So in SQLLite, what happens of you try to store XYZ in an integer field?

Without your having enabled any of the "affinity" options mentioned by
Dave Cook, SQLite will happily store 'XYZ' in that column, and return it
to you when you query that row. The types are either ignored, or
advisory, or meaningful in various ways, depending on the settings you pick.

Note that this is considered something as a desirable feature in the
SQLite community, in a similar fashion (it appears to me) to how dynamic
typing is considered in the Python community, so don't consider it
outright to be a Bad Thing. I'd say more on the issue, if I knew
anything that I hadn't just read in the documentation.

-Peter

Magnus Lycka

Thomas Bartkus wrote:
> I was thinking of Win32com which I expect lets you put a wrapper around ADO
> and work the ADO (or any other ActiveX) object model from within Python.

Sure, but since others have made wrappers around ADO for Python before,
you'd either reivent the wheel or or use e.g.
http://www.ecp.cc/pyado.html or http://adodbapi.sourceforge.net/
and get another dependency besides the Win 32 libs.

Your milage may vary, but I prefer to use the DB-API compliant
interfaces. If mxODBC is ok from a licence point of view, I'm sure
it's an excellent product, but if you use it for .mdb I suspect you
need to deal with Jet oddities like quoting dates with # and
non-standard wildcard symbols. (* and ? instead of % and _). That
was the case last time I tried.

Maybe modern Jet versions have done away with those absurdities, but
then I guess you are in trouble if you install the program on a machine
with somwhat older Windows software.

If the limited SQL support in SQLite is enough, I think it's a very
simple and straight forward tool to use in Windows from Python.
Try it!