Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Using httplib to read a file online

Using httplib to read a file online

Oyvind Ostlund

I am trying to read a file online, and was just testing a bit. This is what I tried.

--------------------------------------
import sys, httplib
showlines = 6

try:
servername, filename = sys.argv[1:] # cmdline args?
except:
servername, filename = 'noteme.com', '/index.php'

print servername, filename
server = httplib.HTTP(servername) # connect to httpsite/server
server.putrequest('GET', filename) # send request andheaders
server.putheader('Accept', 'text/html') # POST requests workhere too
server.endheaders() # as do cgi script
file names

errcode, errmsh, replyheader = server.getreply() # read reply info headers
if errcode != 200: # 200 means success
print 'Error sending request', errcode
print 'Message', errmsh
print 'RepHeader', replyheader
else:
file = server.getfile() # file obj for data
received
data = file.readlines()
file.close() # show lines with eolnat end
for line in data[:showlines]: print line, # to save, write datato file

There is a server called noteme.com and a file called index.php on it, but why doesn't it work. If I changed it to 'vbforums.com' and 'index.php' then it worked. What is the difference? Anyone have a qlue?''

Thanks in advance
- ии -

Fuzzyman

Why are you using httplib rather than urllib2 ?

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python