Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > how to test site-site vpn

how to test site-site vpn

The Entitty

Group:

I have two firewalls setup on the net. I think I have the rules setup as
well. I don't have any stations inside yet. Is there a way I can use the
firewalls from a command line to know if the VPN is up..
I can't ping from the internal inside?

Thanks
entitty

Cisco Newbie

ping from one workstation to the other workstation.

"The Entitty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9YGLc.256736$(E-Mail Removed) able.rogers.com...
> Group:
>
> I have two firewalls setup on the net. I think I have the rules setup as
> well. I don't have any stations inside yet. Is there a way I can use the
> firewalls from a command line to know if the VPN is up..
> I can't ping from the internal inside?
>

> Thanks
> entitty

Rik Bain

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:59:01 -0500, The Entitty wrote:

> Group:
>
> I have two firewalls setup on the net. I think I have the rules setup as
> well. I don't have any stations inside yet. Is there a way I can use the
> firewalls from a command line to know if the VPN is up.. I can't ping
> from the internal inside?
>

> Thanks
> entitty

Assuming Pix firewalls running 6.3.3, you can use the management-access
command. After configured, you can do "ping inside x.x.x.x". This will
source a ping from the inside interface of the pix you executed it on, an
extended ping of sorts.

Disclaimer:
I am not sure of it is designed to work this way, but I found that it
did work on 6.3.3 (in vpnclient mode, but I dont think that matters) for
me the other day.

Rik Bain