Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Rapid Spanning Tree

Reply
Thread Tools

Rapid Spanning Tree

 
 
Franzy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2004
Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hktco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Franzy) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
> their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
> The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.


I've been using RSTP (802.1w) since its first release and am impressed
with it. Recently (12.1(19c)EA1 - 12.1(20)EA1) there was a major bug
(CSCee39647) that causes non-portfast-enabled access ports to reset.
Cisco claimed that the bug was fixed in the latest version
(12.1(22)EA1) but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

hktco
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Franzy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2004
(E-Mail Removed) (hktco) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Franzy) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
> > their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
> > The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

>
> I've been using RSTP (802.1w) since its first release and am impressed
> with it. Recently (12.1(19c)EA1 - 12.1(20)EA1) there was a major bug
> (CSCee39647) that causes non-portfast-enabled access ports to reset.
> Cisco claimed that the bug was fixed in the latest version
> (12.1(22)EA1) but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.
>
> hktco


Do you have any doco on disgnosing RSPT ? Such as useful debugs, or
show commands. I can find anything.
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2004
By default I have spanning tree disabled on all ports unless used by design
for redundnacy purposes wihtin the infrastructure. Best to not use at all on
server/workstation links as the BDPU's can cause the receiving system to log
those packets as errored packets and sometimes can cause other issues.


"Franzy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (hktco) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Franzy) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > > Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
> > > their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
> > > The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

> >
> > I've been using RSTP (802.1w) since its first release and am impressed
> > with it. Recently (12.1(19c)EA1 - 12.1(20)EA1) there was a major bug
> > (CSCee39647) that causes non-portfast-enabled access ports to reset.
> > Cisco claimed that the bug was fixed in the latest version
> > (12.1(22)EA1) but I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.
> >
> > hktco

>
> Do you have any doco on disgnosing RSPT ? Such as useful debugs, or
> show commands. I can find anything.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Hansang Bae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2004
In article <aRZLc.22980$(E-Mail Removed)>, mwclarke1
@yahoo.com says...
> By default I have spanning tree disabled on all ports unless used by design
> for redundnacy purposes wihtin the infrastructure. Best to not use at all on
> server/workstation links as the BDPU's can cause the receiving system to log
> those packets as errored packets and sometimes can cause other issues.


Like accidently melting down when someone makes a patch error?
Disabling STP can be quite dangerous.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
*************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
************************************************** ******************
Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
************************************************** ******************
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2004
Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not need,
Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.

Use very tight configuration controls and only those who I know what they
are doing will ever touch the infrastructure and all pathing is defined
during design phase and specific in the implementation doc's.

Most of the time I would rather know if a patching error were to cause a
problem right then than have spanning tree block ports due to a
configuration error due to a loop that most of the times caused performance
issues anyway sine not taking the correct path.

People working for me ususally do not make many mistakes since we have a
standard process in place, all changes happen during a window and usually
know if the design is working before having to release back into production.
Therfore should not have to have any pathing problems.



"Hansang Bae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <aRZLc.22980$(E-Mail Removed)>, mwclarke1
> @yahoo.com says...
> > By default I have spanning tree disabled on all ports unless used by

design
> > for redundnacy purposes wihtin the infrastructure. Best to not use at

all on
> > server/workstation links as the BDPU's can cause the receiving system to

log
> > those packets as errored packets and sometimes can cause other issues.

>
> Like accidently melting down when someone makes a patch error?
> Disabling STP can be quite dangerous.
>
> --
>
> hsb
>
> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
> ************************************************** ******************
> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.
> ************************************************** ******************



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrey Tarasov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2004
Hello, MC!
You wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:20:36 -0400:

M> Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not
M> need, Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.

Have you ever seen a NIC card failing in a way that it becomes a loopback? Do
you know what's going to happen than with STP being disabled?

If answers is no - there is big surprise for you somewhere down the road

With best regards,
Andrey.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Exner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2004
hi

we are using it in the most of our networks. It works fine.

Michael

Franzy schrieb:

> Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
> their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
> The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.


 
Reply With Quote
 
terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2004
"Andrey Tarasov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cdvf56$102$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello, MC!
> You wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:20:36 -0400:
>
> M> Not really. I usually have more problems when I use it and do not
> M> need, Absoultly no spanning tree on server connections.
>
> Have you ever seen a NIC card failing in a way that it becomes a loopback? Do
> you know what's going to happen than with STP being disabled?
>
> If answers is no - there is big surprise for you somewhere down the road
>
> With best regards,
> Andrey.


I must agree, disabling STP on ANY interface is to be avoided.
Currently, in major data centre installations, there is a tendency to
use dual nics. These, when they fail, often set up dumb
bridge/repeater type environments. These form loops. In addition,
patching problems can and do happen in any environment. To have your
entire VLAN, and potentially the entire network, at risk because a
server cannot handle BPDUs is a bit weak. Cisco seems to agree.
Portfast is really the limit of the weakening the protective
behaviour, and then only with bpdu guard enabled.

Just in case that wasn't worded strongly enough, disabling Spanning
Tree on any switched port in any topology is not recommended!

Cheers,

Terry Pattinson
 
Reply With Quote
 
Franzy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2004
I have set this up within my Test Lab and i agree that everything is
runnign fine with no errors. I have found only a few documnets which
illustrated the functionality of Rapid but no helpful diagnostic
tools.
I can use the default spanning tree diagnostic tools, but is there
anything specific to Rapid that you may be able to tell me when it
does come time to diagnosing a Rapid spannign tree problem ?

Thanks
Dave


Michael Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ce02mm$stj$(E-Mail Removed)-hagen.de>...
> hi
>
> we are using it in the most of our networks. It works fine.
>
> Michael
>
> Franzy schrieb:
>
> > Can anyone please tell me if they are using Rapid Spannig Tree within
> > their networks and/or if you have experienced any problems ?
> > The Cisco web site does not have much info on this topic.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RSTP (Rapid Spanning Tree Protokoll) compatibility Thomas Hartenstein Cisco 1 01-19-2004 08:22 PM
Spanning Tree issue teton67 Cisco 10 12-27-2003 01:27 PM
Spanning Tree Sizwe Dumisani Cisco 3 11-16-2003 02:33 AM
B tree, B+ tree and B* tree Stub C Programming 3 11-12-2003 01:51 PM
Spanning Tree And Per Vlan Spanning Tree Amy L. Cisco 0 07-24-2003 10:01 PM



Advertisments