Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > running distutils installer without admin on windows

running distutils installer without admin on windows

timothy.williams@nvl.army.mil

Hello all.

We don't have admin privs on our Windows boxes, but I'd like to be able
to install a package built using distutils. I was able to install
Python without admin, but when I tried to run the installer for this
package I'm trying to install, I get a message saying that I need admin
privs.

Is there a way around this? Why can't it just put things in
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages like a good little installer?

Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?

Thanks.

Jesper Olsen

> Hello all.
>
> We don't have admin privs on our Windows boxes, but I'd like to be able
> to install a package built using distutils. I was able to install
> Python without admin, but when I tried to run the installer for this
> package I'm trying to install, I get a message saying that I need admin
> privs.
>
> Is there a way around this? Why can't it just put things in
> C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages like a good little installer?
>
> Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?
>
> Thanks.

You can use the --home switch to specify a local directory to install
in, e.g.:

% python setup.py install --home=.

-Jesper

timothy.williams@nvl.army.mil

I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
needed to have the .NET SDK installed.

Thomas Heller

> I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
> and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
> library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
> needed to have the .NET SDK installed.

You could at least open the installer exe in winzip or a similar tool,
and unpack it manually to the site-packages directory.

Thomas

PS: I *think* that the distutils from newer Python versions (2.4.1 and
2.3.5) create installers that can also run without admin rights.

timothy.williams@nvl.army.mil

I found out how to build it with Cygwin

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist

I can then unzip the zip file it creates and put it in site-packages.

It looks like I can install a bdist_wininst installer with Python 2.4,
but not 2.3.5
(without admin).