Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Which router for VLANS

Which router for VLANS

Lars Christensen

"slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:B%VKc.651$(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that
> none of the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the
> Ethernet port. I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not
> fast Ethernet?
>
> Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be
> best but I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a
> tight budget
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon

Hey Gordon

Have you tried to use subinterfaces, like ethernet0.1?

Cheers Lars

slipstream_242

I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that none of
the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the Ethernet port.
I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not fast Ethernet?

Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be best but
I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a tight budget

Thanks

Gordon

Walter Roberson

In article <QfYKc.1963$(E-Mail Removed)>,
slipstream_242 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Yes, I have configured sub interfaces but doesn't allow me to specify ISL or
ot1q. I think the contributory factor is that the Ethernet port is not fast
:Ethernet?

Contributory, but not absolute limitation. *Some* of the Cisco routers
allow you to do 802.1Q on 10 Mb, if you have the appropriate hardware/
software combination. Not just on "10/100" boards, either: I mean on
boards that are strictly 10 Mb.

Looking through the list quickly, it appears that you need something
in the 12.2(* series as a minimum, that support is available even
in the IP feature set, and the 1700 series looks to be about the smallest
device it would work on.
--
And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.

stephen

"slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B%VKc.651$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that none of
> the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the Ethernet

port.
> I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not fast Ethernet?
>
> Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be best

but
> I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a tight budget

cheapest one i know of is the 1721 (for 802.1q rather than ISL). Note it
only seems to work on the built in 10/100 port - the 4 port switch module
doesnt like 802.1q.

depending on the s/w verson, you may need IOS plus

--
Regards

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

slipstream_242 wrote:

> ok, Thanks. I have ISO 12.2(5)D so I guess I shall need to look for the
> later version?
>
> The routers I have at the moment are the 2610 and a couple of 2503s.

Forget the 2503s. The 2610 will do 802.1Q as of IOS 12.2(15)T9 (ED
release), 12.2(24a) (GD release) IP Plus feature set.

Look at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn (the Feature Navigator) for things
like this. Needs a CCO login, but no special access.

Regards,

Marco.

slipstream_242

Yes, I have configured sub interfaces but doesn't allow me to specify ISL or
Dot1q. I think the contributory factor is that the Ethernet port is not fast
Ethernet?

If I try to configure sub interfaces it tells me that they can only be
configured if they are part of an ISL or Dot1q protocol which is being used
but the protocol is not available on the Ethernet port.

"Lars Christensen" <lars@sjgnksjdf_perseus.dk> wrote in message
> "slipstream_242" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:B%VKc.651$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that
> > none of the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the
> > Ethernet port. I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not
> > fast Ethernet?
> >
> > Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be
> > best but I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a
> > tight budget
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gordon
> >

> Hey Gordon
>
> Have you tried to use subinterfaces, like ethernet0.1?
>
> Cheers Lars

slipstream_242

ok, Thanks. I have ISO 12.2(5)D so I guess I shall need to look for the
later version?

The routers I have at the moment are the 2610 and a couple of 2503s.

news:cdhgfm$srv$(E-Mail Removed)...