Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Mandrake 10.1 and Python 2.3.4

Re: Mandrake 10.1 and Python 2.3.4

John Ridley

"Joal Heagney" wrote:

> Hi everyone. I've been getting this error message in python, and it's

> really driving me up the wall.
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] joal]$ python
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Python 2.3.4 (#1, Apr 18 2005, 19:03:06)
> [GCC 3.4.1] on linux2
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more

information.

> Here's the relevant line when i run python in verbose mode:
>

> 'import site' failed; traceback:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site.py", line 169, in ?
> sys.lib,
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lib'
>
> Is this a Mandrake or a Python mistake?
> And does anyone know how to fix it?
>
> I think this is the reason why I'm getting errors when it comes to
> importing other python packages.

I have both python 2.3.4 and 2.4.1 installed on Mandrake 10.1 - and
only 2.4.1 gives the error.

So - have you tried to install python 2.4 recently?

Also, are you using a pythonrc.py startup file which is trying to
import the sys module? Have a look to see if a PYTHONSTARTUP
environment variable has been set to the path of such a file.

HTH

John Ridley

Joal Heagney

*sighs*

Still not able to find a version of Mandrake Python which won't give me
this problem, so I just went into site.py and edited it.

Replace all occurances of sys.lib to "lib" and site.py loads up.
Incidently it fixed all the other import issues that I'd been having
with Python.

Strange that other Mandrake Users aren't getting this.

Joal Heagney