Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

John Machin

Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as a
"source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:

Error...
There's been a problem with your request
exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file

I have managed to upload a Windows installer, and downloaded it again
[but the download count is still stuck on zero].

Any clues?

richard

John Machin wrote:
> Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.

> I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as a
> "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:
>
> Error...
> There's been a problem with your request
> exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file

The *only* valid (perfectly OK) source file to upload is a Source
Distribution as generated by the "sdist" setup.py command.

> I have managed to upload a Windows installer, and downloaded it again
> [but the download count is still stuck on zero].

The download counts are updated daily (IIRC).

Richard

John Machin

richard wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
> > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.

Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

> > I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as

> > "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:
> >
> > Error...
> > There's been a problem with your request
> > exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file

> The *only* valid (perfectly OK) source file to upload is a Source
> Distribution as generated by the "sdist" setup.py command.

Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:

setup.py sdist --format=zip

richard

John Machin wrote:
> richard wrote:
>> John Machin wrote:
>> > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

>> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.
>>

> Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
> messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
> not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
> could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

You mean the request you put in two days ago? Sorry I've not got around to
responding yet. It was admittedly low on my priority list because you were
the only person reporting the issue (out of hundreds of successful
registrations). I will now fill in the details you've just provided (ie the
input you used which broke the interface) so that when I get around to
fixing it I'll know what I'm looking for.

> Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:
>
> setup.py sdist --format=zip

Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

Richard

John Machin

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:49 +1000, richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Machin wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>>
>>> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.
>>>

>> Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
>> messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
>> not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
>> could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

>You mean the request you put in two days ago?

Yes, that one.

> Sorry I've not got around to
>responding yet. It was admittedly low on my priority list because you were
>the only person reporting the issue (out of hundreds of successful
>registrations). I will now fill in the details you've just provided (ie the
>input you used which broke the interface)

Not me, yer 'onour; it wuz broken already.

>so that when I get around to
>fixing it I'll know what I'm looking for.
>

>> Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:
>>
>> setup.py sdist --format=zip

>Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
(presumably a timestamp):

C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>fc /b xlrd-0.3a1.zip
f:\xlrd_dist\xlrd-0.3a1.zip
Comparing files xlrd-0.3a1.zip and F:\XLRD_DIST\XLRD-0.3A1.ZIP
0000000A: 59 B8
0000000B: B9 9E
0000000C: B0 AF
00009660: 59 B8
00009661: B9 9E
00009662: B0 AF

C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>dir *3a1*.zip

16/05/2005 11:10p 39,436 xlrd-0.3a1.zip

C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>dir f:\xlrd_dist\xlrd-0.3a1.zip

15/05/2005 07:53p 39,436 xlrd-0.3a1.zip

(B) Exactly the same result from the PyPI upload attempt.

> The code is being too paranoid

Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

richard

John Machin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:49 +1000, richard
>>John Machin wrote:
>>> setup.py sdist --format=zip

>>Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

> Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
> (presumably a timestamp):

Oh, so even without --format, a ZIP source dist file is produced anyway? If
this is the case, please file a bug against PyPI.

>> The code is being too paranoid

> Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
pr0n.

Richard

John Machin

On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:27:28 +1000, richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Machin wrote:
>>>
>>>Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

>> Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
>> (presumably a timestamp):

>Oh, so even without --format, a ZIP source dist file is produced anyway?

On a win32 platform, yes, as documented.

> If
>this is the case, please file a bug against PyPI.

I presume you mean a bug *report*. Done.

>>> The code is being too paranoid

>> Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

>The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
>pr0n.

So zip implies pr0n but exe doesn't ???

richard

John Machin wrote:
> I presume you mean a bug report. Done.

Thankyou.

> I wrote:
>> He wrote:
>>>
>>> Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

>> The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
>> pr0n.

> So zip implies pr0n but exe doesn't ???

Not sure what your point is here. Are you implying that PyPI is doing
something wrong W.R.T. exe files? If you are, what are you basing that
statement on? And what would you do differently?

Richard