Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OSx 10.4 lacks pythonIDE?

OSx 10.4 lacks pythonIDE?

baza

Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
text edit all the time??

Computer says 'No'

Robert Kern

baza wrote:
> Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
> text edit all the time??

PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

--
Robert Kern

-- Richard Harter

On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "Robert Kern"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> baza wrote:
>> Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
>> text edit all the time??

> PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

That's weird because it was on my iBook disk as a .pkg file when I got it???

Thanks for the link.
Baza

On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "Robert Kern"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> baza wrote:
>> Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
>> text edit all the time??

> PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

OK, just installed it but it crashes under Tiger.

Baza

Matt Feinstein

On Fri, 13 May 2005 03:21:40 +0100, baza
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
>text edit all the time??

You can use Spotlight to find the file idle.pyw and use that as an
IDE...

Matt Feinstein

--
There is no virtue in believing something that can be proved to be true.

Robert Kern

B wrote:

> On 13/5/05 03:35, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "Robert Kern"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>baza wrote:
>>
>>>Where is the IDE in 'Tiger' for the mac? Don't tell me I have to use
>>>text edit all the time??

>>PythonIDE never came with the OS. You have to install it yourself.
>>
>>http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/

> OK, just installed it but it crashes under Tiger.

Not surprising. PythonIDE is very old and unmaintained relying on an
older and even more unmaintained GUI toolkit. You should probably find
another editor.

You could learn to use vim or emacs, both of which come with Tiger. They
also have somewhat more Aqua-friendly GUI versions lurking around. I'm
partial to vim, myself.

PyOXIDE might be a good choice for you.
http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/Menu4.html

I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.

There are other IDEs floating around. Searching the PythonMac-SIG
mailing list archives should show you past discussions about them and
how well they work on OS X.

--
Robert Kern
(E-Mail Removed)

-- Richard Harter

Lou Pecora

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You could learn to use vim or emacs, both of which come with Tiger. They
> also have somewhat more Aqua-friendly GUI versions lurking around. I'm
> partial to vim, myself.
>
> PyOXIDE might be a good choice for you.
> http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/Menu4.html
>
> I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.
>
> There are other IDEs floating around. Searching the PythonMac-SIG
> mailing list archives should show you past discussions about them and
> how well they work on OS X.

TextWrangler or BBEdit (it's bigger brother) can be used, too. Both are
nice GUI editors.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.

Lou Pecora

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm told Xcode does a tolerable job with Python.

I just took a look at Xcode and it's not obvious how to run a script. I
suspect I need a project? Then run? The docs say nothing that I can
find.

Thanks.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.