Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 805 serial router

Cisco 805 serial router

none

I just purchased a 2nd hand Cisco 805 serial router.

I bought the router so that I can plug in an ordinary dialup-modem to it
and dial into my ISP and more importantly to learn Cisco. What cable do
I need to buy to plug in my dialup-modem? The connector at the back of
the 805 is some sort of special connector?

Currently my dial-up modem plugs into COM1.

Could someone point or show me how to reset the router to
factory-default settings? I know how to use Hyperterminal to access the
router. How do I log into the router, (whats the username/password at
feactory-defaults?)

TIA.

Newbie.

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

none wrote:

> I bought the router so that I can plug in an ordinary dialup-modem to it
> and dial into my ISP and more importantly to learn Cisco. What cable do
> I need to buy to plug in my dialup-modem? The connector at the back of
> the 805 is some sort of special connector?

Yep. You need a 'CAB-SS-232MT', as Cisco calls it. A Smart Serial <->
Male RS-232 DTE cable.

> Could someone point or show me how to reset the router to
> factory-default settings?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...fg/pwrecov.htm

However, as you don't really want to recover the existing config, say
'Yes' at step 11 when it asks 'Do you want to enter the system
configuration dialog' (or words to that effect).

I know how to use Hyperterminal to access the
> router. How do I log into the router, (whats the username/password at
> feactory-defaults?)

There isn't one. Start digging around at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/.../805/index.htm
for the documentation for the box, and
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...scen.htm#16990

for specifics about the config you're going to want.

Regards,

Marco.

none

M.C. van den Bovenkamp wrote:

>> I bought the router so that I can plug in an ordinary dialup-modem to
>> it and dial into my ISP and more importantly to learn Cisco. What
>> cable do I need to buy to plug in my dialup-modem? The connector at
>> the back of the 805 is some sort of special connector?

> Yep. You need a 'CAB-SS-232MT', as Cisco calls it. A Smart Serial <->
> Male RS-232 DTE cable.
> Regards,
>
> Marco.

Thanks for information Marco.

I had a look for the CAB-SS-232MT. My Netcomm dialup modem has a 9hole
serial connector, therefore I would need a:

9-pin male connector (DB9?)RS-232 DTE <-> Smart Serial cable.

Every CAB-SS-232MT I googled for is a DB25.

Has anyone got suggestions?

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

none wrote:

> 9-pin male connector (DB9?)RS-232 DTE <-> Smart Serial cable.

There is no such beast.

> Every CAB-SS-232MT I googled for is a DB25.

Yep.

> Has anyone got suggestions?

Get a DB25 <-> DB9 converter as well as the CAB-SS-232MT. As you found
out, Cisco RS-232 cables are all DB25s.

Regards,

Marco.

AnyBody43

"M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40f682c7$0$57558$(E-Mail Removed)4a ll.nl>...
> none wrote:
>
> > 9-pin male connector (DB9?)RS-232 DTE <-> Smart Serial cable.

> There is no such beast.
>
> > Every CAB-SS-232MT I googled for is a DB25.

> Yep.
>
> > Has anyone got suggestions?

> Get a DB25 <-> DB9 converter as well as the CAB-SS-232MT. As you found
> out, Cisco RS-232 cables are all DB25s.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marco.

Maybe that's because all RS-232 cables are DB25?

i.e. Does the Standard specify DB25?

Quite frankly I don't care but maybe someone does?

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

AnyBody43 wrote:

> Maybe that's because all RS-232 cables are DB25?
>
> i.e. Does the Standard specify DB25?

I think it does, yes. But I'm not sure. The DB-9 came in with the IBM
AT, I think (at least in the PC world).

Regards,

Marco.

tftp boot problem + Cisco 805 Andree Toonk Cisco 6 05-21-2009 07:46 PM
CDP on a Cisco 805 Router with SNMP Marco Decker Cisco 0 11-30-2005 04:17 PM
cisco 805 RobcPettit Cisco 1 07-30-2004 09:42 AM
Cisco 805 replacing 1005 for PPP Charles Barrett Cisco 1 06-15-2004 01:13 PM
Disable icmp on Cisco 805 Rickie Cisco 1 12-10-2003 03:54 PM

Advertisments