Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Graphing Utilities.

Python Graphing Utilities.

Kenneth Miller

Hello All,

I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?

Regards,
Ken

Fredrik Lundh

Kenneth Miller wrote:

> I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
> available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
> installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?

start here:

http://www.python.org/moin/NumericAn...tific/Plotting
http://starship.python.net/crew/jhauser/plot-res.html

or roll your own:

http://effbot.org/zone/wckgraph.htm

</F>

Bill Mill

On 5/10/05, Kenneth Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
> available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
> installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?

matplotlib is awesome:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

and gnuplot.py is passable:

http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/

(a better version of gnuplot.py is available with the excellent
ipython interpreter at http://ipython.scipy.org/)

All of the above are cross-platform to at least linux and windows.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com

Thomas Lotze

You might also want to check out PyX: <http://pyx.sf.net/>.

--
Thomas

Grant Edwards

On 2005-05-10, Kenneth Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities
> would be available to me.

Exactly what do you mean by "graphing"? I think pygnuplot
pretty much kicks for the graphs and plots I do.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! FIRST, I'm covering
at you with OLIVE OIL and

Kenneth Miller

Ahh Thanks for the quick replies. I'm having a look through them now. What
would you consider the best for real time applications? The idea here is to
stream in the results from an A/D converter onto a 2d chart.

Regards,
Ken

Grant Edwards

On 2005-05-10, Kenneth Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ahh Thanks for the quick replies. I'm having a look through
> them now. What would you consider the best for real time
> applications?

That depends on how fast "real time" is. I use gnuplot-py for
1 Hz update rates with no issues. 2Hz worked OK but much
faster than that probably isn't the best application for
gnuplot.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Why is everything
at made of Lycra Spandex?

Ron Adam

Kenneth Miller wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
> available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
> installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?
>
> Regards,
> Ken

BLT doesn't install in the correct directories on Windows. I found this
helpful.

1. Install BLT 2.4u into C:/Python23/tcl, using BLT's installer
(the one for Tcl/Tk 8.3). This gives you bin, include, and lib
subdirectories of C:/Python23/tcl, with all the BLT stuff in them.
2. Copy C:/Python23/tcl/lib/blt2.4 into C:/Python23/tcl/tcl8.3.
3. Put the BLT DLLs in a directory on your PATH (not necessarily a
system directory, it just has to be on your PATH)

Clipped from: http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/scripting/software.html

Cheers,
_Ron

Fernando Perez

Bill Mill wrote:

> On 5/10/05, Kenneth Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am new to Python and i was wondering what graphing utlities would be
>> available to me. I have already tried BLT and after weeks of unsuccesful
>> installs i'd like to find something else. Anything someone would recommend?

> matplotlib is awesome:
>
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>
> and gnuplot.py is passable:
>
> http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/
>
> (a better version of gnuplot.py is available with the excellent
> ipython interpreter at http://ipython.scipy.org/)

Just to clarify: with ipython, you still need the default gnuplot-py package,
it's just that ipython enhances it a bit.

And I'd also second the matplotlib suggestion, to which I've by now fully
switched after years of faithful gnuplot usage. Matplotlib is very good, has
an active development community, and it is designed from the ground up not
only as a library for rendering plots to screen/disk, but also for embedding
into guis (with support for Tk, WX, GTK, QT and FLTK). So it should satisfy
the OP's needs well, and if he has any problems with it, feel free to stop by
the user list which is fairly active.

As a disclaimer, while I've added support in ipython for interactive matplotlib
usage with most backends (except FLTK), I'm not a full-time developer. So I
feel it's OK to cheer JDH's and all the rest of the team's excellent work on
matplotlib.

Best,

Kenneth Miller

Unix, not windows ><